Garry's Mod and WebSync

BaconMan
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Garry's Mod and WebSync

Post by BaconMan »

Garry's Mod sadly makes a new cache file every time a single Lua file is changed for clients to download. When a game update is applied to the server most of the time a client lua file is changed and the server requires another websync. Making the server sometimes sit with 'Lua Cache could not be downloaded' errors because me or any other owner hasn't realized the update. I was wondering if it is possible to make it automatically websync after a game update is applied or just a websync for the cache folder only? It would be very helpful.

Now if possible it would be cool if you could just websync the cache folder after every map load. This would help the gameserver owners who change lua files a lot when players are still on. :3
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Garry's Mod and WebSync

Post by TimeX »

A web sync only copies over files that have changed or were added, so running one for just a cache file update would be just as fast as running one that only checks one folder.

Making it automatically sync after every server restart or map change may introduce new problems, so I am not sure how possible that would be. Perhaps John will be able to provide more detail.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

This is something that I do plan to implement.
BaconMan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by BaconMan »

I just don't see other providers seeing a performance lost when they do "Automatic FastDL" which makes sure all the files are updated on every map load.
BaconMan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by BaconMan »

Edge100x wrote:This is something that I do plan to implement.
Sounds good. :3
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

BaconMan wrote:I just don't see other providers seeing a performance lost when they do "Automatic FastDL" which makes sure all the files are updated on every map load.
Most other providers run webservers alongside the game servers, on the same machine. This makes syncs fairly cheap, but it also has performance and security implications, so we use a different system.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It looks like this is already implemented here, actually.