Adding a Domain

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
JarHed
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Adding a Domain

Post by JarHed »

I'm having a problem setting a domain name for a website hosted by NFO. I didn't create the domain and so I'm going through another person to make the changes, as needed to point the server where the name resides to the proper NFO servers.

When I started to setup the new site, I got to the Domains tab on the NFO control panel. I entered the new domain in the 'Add Domain box' and got an error message. I've tried entering the new domain name in upper or lower case and with or without a .com on it;

Your added domain does not specify one or more NFOSERVERS.COM domain servers. Please use your registrar to update your nameservers to NS1.NFOSERVERS.COM and NS2.NFOSERVERS.COM, and try again. (If you already made the change, you may have to wait for your registrar to internally update.)

After receiving this message I had the person check to see that update to those servers was done. Below is his pm to me in that regard;

hmm it says it went through yesterday and I see the new nameservers listed

Nameservers

Nameservers: (Last Update 8/6/2011)

NS1.NFOSERVERS.COM
NS2.NFOSERVERS.COM

Set Nameservers
Manage DS Records

I understand that it can take a few hours or even a day for info to update but it's been more than that and when I try to enter the new domain name I get the same error message as above.

I've setup another site with NFO and didn't have this kind of problem. I also had access to the domain and pointed the nameservers to the proper ones. I'm not sure what the problem or problems may be. Any advise, tutorials, or help of any kind would be appreciated. I'd just like to get this setup so I can move forward with creating the forums and website that we need.

Thanks

JarHed
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Adding a Domain

Post by kraze »

Hi,

Those name servers are correct. Some name servers can take up to 72 hours to fully change. That is extremely rare but it can happen.

Also be sure that the person who has changed the name servers make sure that the only name servers in the specified field are the NFO name servers. Once that is done wait a little bit longer and re add them.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you're still having problems, please open up a support request and I can check the whois output to see its status.
JarHed
New to forums
New to forums

Post by JarHed »

Hey All

Thanks for your replies. As it turns out it was a simple but not obvious at the time, fix. Programming will always be an extremely precise science/art. The problem was the name that I assumed to be the proper name for the domain was incorrect. I used every way the name could be configured except the correct one. I don't own the domain so I didn't have access to check where the servers were pointing. Once I was able to get together with the owner of the domain and check that is when I noticed that the name was spelled out differently there. :roll:

Of Course, if I'd have known that I wouldn't have had to post something here. Luckily it was an easy fix once I knew what the problem was. Although at the time I thought I was going to pull my hair out.

Your forums and help desk are the best. Thanks.

JarHed
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.