How Do I Set Up My VDS Server?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Evil Metro
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How Do I Set Up My VDS Server?

Post by Evil Metro »

We've been having problems setting up our server, we went from a normal server to a single-core VDS but we have no clue how to do anything on it. Also, when I was ordering my VDS, I clicked on "This is a new server" instead "This is a change to an existing server", am I paying double for my normal server AND my VDS server? I have a Garry's Mod server, on the HL2RP gamemode.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: How Do I Set Up My VDS Server?

Post by TimeX »

If you placed an order as a new server, then your old package wouldn't have changed at all. From what you said, it sounds like you have two packages you are paying for instead of one.
TimeX
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

It's a new server. You can't upgrade from a game server to a VDS.
Cancel your old server, but before you do, create a new game server and copy any wanted files from the old server.

Once your VDS server is up, go back to the Order Game Servers page.
Select the game you want and fill in the lines to match the setup of your VDS server.
At the bottom, use Existing Server and NOT new server.
Name your game server something simple like AA2 for America's Army 2, or include (1) or (2) if running 2 or more of the same servers.
Select the name of your VDS and then submit.
You will get a confirmation page, and select confirm.
Or you may get a message saying the game isn't available.
Then submit a help ticket asking John to install the game files.
If it was available and you confirmed it, go to your panel and I think in the payments area, you have to select install game server as the final step.
Wait a couple minutes, and the server will create itself.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Actually, that is not completely true, game servers can be changed to VDS servers with a change order, but it would mean losing all the files in the process. It just depends if the order form was filled out as a new server, or a change to existing server.

I think what you are talking about there .=QUACK=.Major.Pain is a standard game server versus a game server on a managed VDS.
TimeX