Adjust player limit automatically - DICE wants to take this

woowoo
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Adjust player limit automatically - DICE wants to take this

Post by woowoo »

In a post over at FPS Admin, Kalms from DICE comments on scripts that auto change the slot count on BF3 servers ...
Servers that do this kind of thing are essentially gaming the underlying QM system. It has multiple negative side effects, such as: large groups will never be able to MM onto such a server, and it is confusing for people who are using the server browser (as they cannot see what the real max # of players for the server is).

We do not want to encourage people to use a mechanism like this one, so don't be surprised if there are QM changes which make it ineffective in the future.
I don't have a problem if they take away this type of feature IF they fix Quick Match and the Server Browser so that we wouldn't NEED tools like this.

I would encourage each of you to go to this thread and post your thoughts and opinions so that Kalms and DICE truly understand the problems we are dealing with.

LINK: http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthrea ... post106824
Klikster
A regular
A regular

Re: Adjust player limit automatically - DICE wants to take t

Post by Klikster »

If the Battlelog and Quick Match actually worked legit then stuff like this slot count feature wouldn't have needed to be made in the first place. Ugh.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Thank you for posting this. I was thinking that something like this may come up.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I am sure that DICE will continue to work to improve Battlelog and both its matchmaking and server list systems. Frustratingly, right now the matchmaking does not conform to the public documentation, groups reportedly can't join servers right anyhow, and the server list (while randomized as of this morning) still does not behave in a satisfactory way, as the 300 servers chosen are not given based on GeoIP or ping data. There is a lot of room for improvement, and I'm sure that as they improve the system, old workarounds will be made less necessary and also less useful.
dapriest
A regular
A regular

Post by dapriest »

I'm giving it this month and then I'm pulling the plug on my VDS. If it doesn't work why should I pay for it.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

I can understand your frustration.
Main reason I got a VDS was for BF3...this is become frustrating by the day.
Pickerd
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Pickerd »

I replied. If they take this away from me and my server it will be just another kick in the downstairs mix-up for smaller communities by Dice yet again. All previous games they over saturated servers with way too many official servers, making things too hard for my group, now they want to take away the one thing that is helping us so very much.
.Strafe
A regular
A regular

Post by .Strafe »

this tool works extremely well for those of us with smaller communities looking to expand. it doesnt hurt anyone so i dont understand why DICE would have a fit about it ...

unless, like ive theorized all along, that gameservers has paid an extra amount to DICE/EA to be at the front of the line for QM players for their servers ... damn this conspiracy theory just wont leave!!

:mrgreen:
globel
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by globel »

something is stopping me from making my server > 32 payers. I run vars.maxPlayers and set it to 31 no issue... 33 it sets it to 32... 64 is 32 as well. It stays at 32. I think this might be EA ... well I am sure its EA I donno if its in response to this tool or just them fucking something up like usual.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

globel wrote:something is stopping me from making my server > 32 payers. I run vars.maxPlayers and set it to 31 no issue... 33 it sets it to 32... 64 is 32 as well. It stays at 32. I think this might be EA ... well I am sure its EA I donno if its in response to this tool or just them fucking something up like usual.

Are you running out slot limiter? If so try disabling it to see if it allows it to go higher.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you run Rush, setting the vars.maxPlayers to 64 makes the server able to run 64 players, and shows as supporting 64 in battlelog, but it shows as having a limit of 32 in server queries. This is a known bug in the game.