Server crash, password change.

BeardedBubba
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server crash, password change.

Post by BeardedBubba »

Little odd problem I've got here.

Our NFO Server crashed about 30 mins ago, I go to log back into Procon (client side installation) and The RConn password has been changed. Now I can't conform that it wasn't changed by one of the 2 people who can change it, as they havn't been on. But I don't think thats the case. (I will speak to them when they are available)

My question is, is it possible for a server crash to over right the startup.cfg and change the RConn password?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Server crash, password change.

Post by kraze »

The rcon password will read whatever is in the server config. So even if you set it via Procon after the server is restarted or crashes it re reads it from the file. Have you checked the file to see if the password is the same?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
BeardedBubba
New to forums
New to forums

Post by BeardedBubba »

kraze wrote:The rcon password will read whatever is in the server config. So even if you set it via Procon after the server is restarted or crashes it re reads it from the file. Have you checked the file to see if the password is the same?

I don't have access to the FTP, or the NFO CP. I will have to wait to get access to these, or have one of the 2 people do it for me.

What you said is exactly what I thought, so I'll have to look more into it on my end.

Cheers for the reply.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

No problem. Let us know how it turns out.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
BeardedBubba
New to forums
New to forums

Post by BeardedBubba »

kraze wrote:No problem. Let us know how it turns out.

I just spoke with the clan leader who has the NFO CP access, and after checking everything out, at first he was getting, "No host known" (something to that effect), he was then eventually able to get in. Upon checking the startup.cfg the admin password was the same, and had not been changed.

We where able to fix it by hard rebooting the server (Somthing I was not able to do via procon [do you mind telling me what the command is for server restart?]) upon doing the restart it was fixed.

Alright thats all the info, thanks again for the help, just wanted to let yall know of the outcome. If anything comes up again I'll have the clan leader open a support ticket.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It does not appear that there is an rcon command to restart the server. It must be done externally.
GitSum
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by GitSum »

I assume were talking about a BF3 Server?

1. In Procon - the person has to have the privilege "Allowed to shut down the gamer server"
2. In Procon, Console Tab > type "admin.Shutdown" (case sensitive)

Note - this should immediately shutdown your gameserver and it *should* immediately restart. You may want to test this first with someone who has control panel access available, in case it doesn't - but this command works fine for us. (Some Game Server Providers won't restart)

note - Procon can write directly to the game server maplist file, but it can not change the startup file
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Interesting. That's not a documented command (it's not in the protocol help), but it does appear to work.
BeardedBubba
New to forums
New to forums

Post by BeardedBubba »

Edge100x wrote:Interesting. That's not a documented command (it's not in the protocol help), but it does appear to work.

Awesome thanks for checking!
|TG|Sinister
New to forums
New to forums

Post by |TG|Sinister »

What is the directory path to the file with your password in it?