cod4 server help

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
soulseka
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

cod4 server help

Post by soulseka »

I had cod4 come preinstalled when i ordered my vds but after i edit my server.cfg file and attempt to start up the server it doesn't recognize the server.cfg. Its almost like it cant find it and i am not sure how to get it to look in a certain directory. The reason i dont think it is reading it because the server name is just cod4host instead of what i put in the server.cfg.

Here is the start up parameters i am using for the server: "C:\Game installs\cod4base\iw3mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28960 +set net_ip myip +set ui_maxclients 24 +set sv_maxclients 24 +exec C:\Game installs\cod4base\main\server.cfg +map_rotate
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: cod4 server help

Post by Edge100x »

Make sure that you are executing the command from the correct directory (c:\Game installs\cod4base), either by defining that in a shortcut or by putting it in a batch file that you use to run the server. Change "+exec C:\Game installs\cod4base\main\server.cfg" to just "+exec server.cfg".
soulseka
A regular
A regular

Post by soulseka »

So the default place for the server.cfg file is in the main directory right? At first i tried just having +exec server.cfg but the server would always just show up as cod4host instead of what i put in the config file. Then i tried to place a copy of the config file in the main directory of the cod4 server but it still did not recognize the file. I made the shortcut from the directory where the server is installed to but still cant figure out why the server.cfg is not being read.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

server.cfg needs to be in "main", correct.

Try starting the server up by hand from the command-prompt as a test, to make sure that it's being run from the correct directory. Not running from the right one appears to be the most likely culprit here.
soulseka
A regular
A regular

Post by soulseka »

How do i go about starting the server up via command prompt?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Go to Start->Run and enter "cmd.exe".
Type "cd\game installs\cod4base".
Enter the startup line for the server and hit enter.
soulseka
A regular
A regular

Post by soulseka »

Ok i got it to startup via the cmd window now what do i need to look for?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Was the server.cfg read correctly when running it this way?
soulseka
A regular
A regular

Post by soulseka »

No it is still showing up as cod4host in the server name.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It looks as though we actually use "+exec ./server.cfg" and not "+exec server.cfg" in ours. Please give that a try.
soulseka
A regular
A regular

Post by soulseka »

I tried this +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28960 +set net_ip 74.91.119.202 +set ui_maxclients 24 +set sv_maxclients 24 +exec ./server.cfg +map_rotate but still had the same outcome.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Are you absolutely certain that main/server.cfg exists (that it doesn't have a hidden extension of ".txt" or anything similar), has the correct contents, and has the correct permissions?

Where are you reading the server name after it's started?

If all else fails, you might consider switching to a managed VDS.
soulseka
A regular
A regular

Post by soulseka »

I am using xfire to check the server name. I just double checked the file type and its a .cfg file. I have an idea about fixing it but its not really a fix because i cant keep the server in the current directory i have it in. I am going to try putting it into this directory : C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

Also here is the contents of my server.cfg file:

Code: Select all

// NuclearFallout CoD4 Server.cfg

// Two slashes in a line means that the rest of the line is a comment.
// Comments are ignored by the server when it reads this file.

// Host name that shows up in server list.
set sv_hostname "ZeN Clan Chicago HC TDM"

// Message of the day
set scr_motd "Visit www.znclan.com"

// Anything with sets will be used as server information and will not effect server settings
// Put any information you want to pass on to players in a sets command

sets URL "http://www.znclan.com" // your website here (optional)

// Server Slots
set sv_privateclients "" // Number of private slots

// Set a server password here to make the server private
set g_password ""

// Remote Console Password - Used to control the server, /rcon login password ingame
set rcon_password ""

// Game pak files cheat check. 1=on, 0=off (Default: 1)
set sv_pure "1"

// Logging
set logfile "1" // 0=None, 1=Log
set g_logsync "2" // 0=None, 1=buffered, 2=continuous, 3=append
set g_log "games_mp.log" // Name of log file, default is games_mp.log
set sv_log_damage "1"

// punkbuster settings
seta sv_punkbuster 1
wait
pb_sv_enable
wait 10
pb_sv_load pbsv.cfg

// Allow voice communication
set sv_voice "1"
set voice_deadChat "0"
set voice_global "0"
set voice_localEcho "0"

// Protect from message flooding
set sv_floodprotect "1"

// Ping limitations
set sv_minPing "0"
set sv_maxPing "0"

// Max allowable rate for a client. Max: 25000 (Default: 0)
set sv_maxRate "25000"

// HTTP / Downloading (For use with Custom Maps and Mods)
set sv_allowdownload "1"
seta sv_wwwDownload 0
seta sv_wwwBaseURL ""
seta sv_wwwDlDisconnected 0

// Inactivity
set sv_timeout "300"
set sv_zombietime "1"
set g_spectatorinactivity "0"

// Team Icons
set scr_drawfriend "1"

// Friendly Fire 
set scr_team_fftype "0" //0=Off, 1=On, 2=Reflect Damage 3=Shared
set scr_team_teamkillspawndelay "15"
set scr_team_kickteamkillers "0"  

// Kill Cam / Spectate
set scr_game_allowkillcam "1" 
set scr_game_spectatetype "2" //0=Off, 1=Team Only, 2=Free

// Auto Team Balance
set scr_teambalance "1" //Auto Team Balance 0 = off, 1 = ON 2 or more set limit

// Force Respawn
set scr_forcerespawn "1"

// Allow voting or not
set g_allowvote "1"

// Hardcore / Old School
set scr_oldschool "0"
set scr_hardcore "1"

// Anti-Cheat / Banning
set sv_cheats "0"
set g_no_script_spam "1"
set g_banIPs ""
set g_filterBan "1"

//-----------------------------------------------------
// Gametype setttings

//Deathmatch
set scr_dm_scorelimit "0"
set scr_dm_timelimit "30" //minutes

//Domination settings
set scr_dom_scorelimit "0"
set scr_dom_timelimit "15" //minutes

//Team Deathmatch settings
set scr_war_scorelimit "0"
set scr_war_timelimit "30" //minutes

//Sabotage settings
set scr_sab_scorelimit "11" //points
set scr_sab_timelimit "2" //minutes
set scr_sab_roundswitch "20" //after how many rounds
set scr_sab_bombtimer "60" //seconds
set scr_sab_planttime "5" //seconds
set scr_sab_defusetime "10" //seconds
set scr_sab_hotpotato "0" //shared bomb timer, 0 or 1, off or on

//Search and Destroy settings
set scr_sd_scorelimit "11" //points
set scr_sd_timelimit "2" //minutes
set scr_sd_roundswitch "10" //number of rounds before switching teams
set scr_sd_bombtimer "60" //seconds
set scr_sd_planttime "5" //seconds
set scr_sd_defusetime "10" //seconds
set scr_sd_multibomb "1" //0 or 1, off or on

//Headquarters settings
set scr_koth_scorelimit "1000" //must be greater than 1
set scr_koth_timelimit "20" //minutes
set scr_koth_autodestroytime "180" //seconds
set scr_koth_kothmode "0" //0 or 1, classic mode, non-classic
set scr_koth_spawntime "10" //seconds, hq spawn time

// Gametype Map Rotation
// "dm" - free for all deathmatch
// "dom" - domination
// "koth" - headquarters
// "sab" - sabotage
// "sd" - search & destroy
// "war" - team deathmatch
//set default gametype
//set g_gametype "dm"

//Select one gametype maprotation only, comment all that are not used, only one line should be uncommented
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// DM -- FREE FOR ALL DEATHMATCH
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//set sv_mapRotation "gametype dm map mp_backlot gametype dm map mp_bloc gametype dm map mp_bog gametype dm map mp_cargoship gametype dm map mp_citystreets gametype dm map mp_convoy gametype dm map mp_countdown gametype dm map mp_crash gametype dm map mp_crossfire gametype dm map mp_farm gametype dm map mp_overgrown gametype dm map mp_pipeline gametype dm map mp_shipment gametype dm map mp_showdown gametype dm map mp_strike gametype dm map mp_vacant"

// DOM -- DOMINATION
//set sv_mapRotation "gametype dom map mp_backlot gametype dom map mp_bloc gametype dom map mp_bog gametype dom map mp_cargoship gametype dom map mp_citystreets gametype dom map mp_convoy gametype dom map mp_countdown gametype dom map mp_crash gametype dom map mp_crossfire gametype dom map mp_farm gametype dom map mp_overgrown gametype dom map mp_pipeline gametype dom map mp_shipment gametype dom map mp_showdown gametype dom map mp_strike gametype dom map mp_vacant"

// WAR -- TEAM DEATH MATCH
set sv_mapRotation "gametype war map mp_backlot gametype war map mp_bloc gametype war map mp_bog gametype war map mp_cargoship gametype war map mp_citystreets gametype war map mp_convoy gametype war map mp_countdown gametype war map mp_crash gametype war map mp_crossfire gametype war map mp_farm gametype war map mp_overgrown gametype war map mp_pipeline gametype war map mp_shipment gametype war map mp_showdown gametype war map mp_strike gametype war map mp_vacant"

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// KOTH -- HEADQUARTERS
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//set sv_mapRotation "gametype koth map mp_backlot gametype koth map mp_bloc gametype koth map mp_bog gametype koth map mp_cargoship gametype koth map mp_citystreets gametype koth map mp_convoy gametype koth map mp_countdown gametype koth map mp_crash gametype koth map mp_crossfire gametype koth map mp_farm gametype koth map mp_overgrown gametype koth map mp_pipeline gametype koth map mp_shipment gametype koth map mp_showdown gametype koth map mp_strike gametype koth map mp_vacant"

// SAB -- SABOTAGE
//set sv_mapRotation "gametype sab map mp_backlot gametype sab map mp_bloc gametype sab map mp_bog gametype sab map mp_cargoship gametype sab map mp_citystreets gametype sab map mp_convoy gametype sab map mp_countdown gametype sab map mp_crash gametype sab map mp_crossfire gametype sab map mp_farm gametype sab map mp_overgrown gametype sab map mp_pipeline gametype sab map mp_shipment gametype sab map mp_showdown gametype sab map mp_strike gametype sab map mp_vacant"

// SD -- SEARCH & DESTROY
//set sv_mapRotation "gametype sd map mp_backlot gametype sd map mp_bloc gametype sd map mp_bog gametype sd map mp_cargoship gametype sd map mp_citystreets gametype sd map mp_convoy gametype sd map mp_countdown gametype sd map mp_crash gametype sd map mp_crossfire gametype sd map mp_farm gametype sd map mp_overgrown gametype sd map mp_pipeline gametype sd map mp_shipment gametype sd map mp_showdown gametype sd map mp_strike gametype sd map mp_vacant"
soulseka
A regular
A regular

Post by soulseka »

Well i just got it turns out there was something wrong with the server.cfg file.