Dedi/VPS Managed Web Hosting

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Spifft
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedi/VPS Managed Web Hosting

Post by Spifft »

Do you guys ever plan to do managed web hosting on your dedicated or VPS packages?

I think people would really go for it if there were people that do not know how to properly setup a webserver with a CP and ftp all ready to go but want to run a website that may be out of bounds of your current hosting solution. Such as ftp or file mirroring or proxy servers ect.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Dedi/VPS Managed Web Hosting

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, this is something that we plan to add later on.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Maybe an addon package for whm/cPanel too if you do have managed vps :)
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

It would likely be a duplication of our current webhosting system. WHM/cPanel involves some rather pricey licensing fees and our current system already exists.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Vanderburg wrote:It would likely be a duplication of our current webhosting system. WHM/cPanel involves some rather pricey licensing fees and our current system already exists.
Should be able to resell licenses like other hosts.
The product is much better.
Makes server migrations a breeze.
The product is complete, where the NFo web hosting panel lacks many features.
cPanel is the most complete control panel software out there.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

As an avid web developer, I found our control panel quite complete for everything I needed. The only reason I'm using WHM/cPanel on my VDS is because NFo doesn't offer VDS webhosting. If we had the service, I would drop my cPanel license.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Licensing for cPanel would certainly be a headache, as would trying to integrate it into our existing control panel and systems. It would be best to stick with an unmanaged server for now if you personally prefer cPanel.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Edge100x wrote:Licensing for cPanel would certainly be a headache, as would trying to integrate it into our existing control panel and systems. It would be best to stick with an unmanaged server for now if you personally prefer cPanel.
I see, I think cPanel is really nice, especially with WHM if you plan on reselling.

With that said, I'd like to ask for a special request for managed web hosting if you guys plan to offer it in the future.
Litespeed as an optional addon. I think the cost is like $12-14 for VPS hosting.

It's faster than apache.
Since you guys use a custom control panel (non cPanel) it might work well with it.

Would like to see managed web hosting sometimes in 2012 :)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I am sure John has some good things planned for 2012 :)
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Spifft
A regular
A regular

Post by Spifft »

cPanel is an awesome tool as a web host admin, but for clients something like NFO meets 90%+ of the people looking for a website. Seeing as how NFO caters to gamers.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

While gamers have been a long time focus of NFO, we actually have a lot of customers that use various services for other purposes, including business. It is one more reason why we always apreciate feedback. :)
TimeX
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

TimeX wrote:While gamers have been a long time focus of NFO, we actually have a lot of customers that use various services for other purposes, including business. It is one more reason why we always apreciate feedback. :)
Well if people plan to resell or add additional users, or run a nice email client, cPanel is far superior than anything out there.

NFo could simple buy a cPanel license for the server, then resell.
To save costs, I'd probably suggest offering managed hosting (VPS/Dedi) in limited locations.
Seattle/Dallas/New York.

- Suggestion:
Please add an option in web hosting to simply click a button and trigger whole website/database backup and then the option to restore everything just like you do with your game servers.
It would be a very nice feature :)
I've requested this feature ages ago, but never seen it implemented, it would be nice to have.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

This has been discussed in a similar thread fairly recently. It doesn't make sense to use cPanel/WHM for us when we have a perfectly capable in-house control panel for webhosting. Even if we were to use it, it would be in the same time frame for setup as using our own, because John has lots of stuff on his plate.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

cPanel would be difficult to test and integrate with the system here, and likely cost-prohibitive on VDSes. While it is something that I will consider further, the initial focus will be on supporting our normal webhosting setup.
Spifft
A regular
A regular

Post by Spifft »

I know it's still early to even think about expecting this feature to become available, but is there a chance you can open a forum category or thread that would keep people informed?

I currently run zpanel and cpanel on different servers for educational purposes. Mostly free hosting for customers, some pay. I just have to admit that if your system was available for use as a hosting point of view, I would most definitely turn to NFO's over zpanel or cpanel for small operations.