How do you guys do it?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
kolt
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How do you guys do it?

Post by kolt »

Alright. I have a Dual-Core VDS that runs 12 Halo CE servers... I get 40-100 ping in all of them.. None of them lag and or choke...

I don't know how you made your VDS' so powerful but bravo.. We had moved from an old host as we rented only game servers.. We were paying 19.95 a month for 1... 1 halo ce server. We came here, paying 50$ a month for a VDS and its just kicking ass.. Not to mention you guys are saving us about 190$ a month.

I read that only 8 instances of haloceded.exe can be ran per machine the way it is coded. Well, we're pushing 12 without a problem..

Definitely recommend NFO..

But still, how are the VDS so powerful? I think an actual Dual Core physical machine would scare me.. haha :D
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Edge100x »

Halo has a terribly inefficient server (it uses a bunch of CPU even when no players are connected) and I am also a bit surprised that you can run that many :). I'm glad to hear that our hardware and performance tuning has paid off!
kolt
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by kolt »

Oh yeah, it definitely has.. Yeah I first thought a dual core could only do 6. But then I saw all 6 full and CPU was at 40% with RAM being around 25%. So I kept pushing, pushing, and pushing until I was starting to see the load add up. All 12 yank about 90-97% CPU [Keeping headroom for maintainability and remote desktop]. If I could, I bet I could really push 14 but like I said, trying to keep that headroom. Aha. We are pushing about 1400 of our 2kGB bandwith so you know how to add the right amount of everything to work perfectly.. I know on a single core we could only push 5. If we did 6, 100% CPU. Seems a dual core is more efficient over the single.

When I see people flaming saying the hardware is garbage, I just wanna post this:
AciDPuke
A regular
A regular

Post by AciDPuke »

You really want to keep your cpu usage below 50% under load for the best performance.

At 90-97% cpu your going to have sub par performance and lag spikes.

I do agree the hardware and network here is top notch
kolt
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by kolt »

AciDPuke wrote:You really want to keep your cpu usage below 50% under load for the best performance.

At 90-97% cpu your going to have sub par performance and lag spikes.

I do agree the hardware and network here is top notch

50?! Nah man. Like I said, when all the servers are full, I go into a random one every time and never encounter a lag spike. Like I stated, they have really beefed up machines to handle the load I put on them.. or at least the one I have.

But I know what you mean. I guess it just depends on the servers you are running. If it was a COD server then yeah you probably couldn't get away with it being above 60% cpu..
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I am honestly surprised you are able to get CPU usage that high and not have any issues, but hey if it works...
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

The reason for staying below 100% CPU usage by a certain amount is CPU spikes. For example, if it is time to change the level/map on a server, CPU usage may spike up for a brief moment.

The farther below 100% CPU you run at, the more room you have for CPU spikes. How far below 100% you should run at really depends on how large of spikes you tend to see, and clearly not all software is the same in that regard.
TimeX