Feedback on Control Panel Improvements

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
NAC2Classic
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Feedback on Control Panel Improvements

Post by NAC2Classic »

* I really like the way the RCON control now gives feedback that the server couldnt/didnt accept the command. Much clearer, and faster/easier to use. I really like this improvement a lot. If the focus went back to the RCON command line that would be even better.

* I also like the green for text received back from an rcon command, but now the font seems smaller/fuzzier/harder to read to my (admittedly aging) eyes.

* The Restart Scheduler (BETA) is very cool, and powerful. My problem with it is that I like to give out RCON and Start/Stop/Restart control to trusted regulars, but I rarely give out Easy Setup, File Manager, or ftp access because of the RISK. I find I feel similarly about Scheduled Restarts.... My suggestion would be to move it to, say, Easy Setup?

Thanks for the imrpovements! Much appreciated daily.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Feedback on Control Panel Improvements

Post by Edge100x »

Thank you for your feedback.

The bold green text is darker than the one you used here and very visible on my screen. Are you using the dark control panel theme or the light one?

The restart scheduler is on the server control page because that page also provides the ability to restart the server -- meaning that anyone with access to that page can already simulate this function. Putting it on a different page would mean empowering current users who are not meant to have restart power, so I do not think it would be wise.
NAC2Classic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by NAC2Classic »

I'm using the light control panel. I used that color green in my post to better make the point-- In this forum font the dark green didn't screw it up enough ;) I like the green. Did the font change too?

Yes, putting Restart Scheduler in the Easy Setup page would mess with existing access schemes, and that wouldn't be good.... Since I admin closely I do my restarts manually; the thought of all those boxes checked scared me! I don't grant access to Easy Setup, but I can easily agree with your choice.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Hmm. To combat abuse by sub-admins, I will work on having it post an event when a new restart-list adjustment is made.
NAC2Classic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by NAC2Classic »

Yes, a welcome addition... something whose subject line will stand out in an email. That would counter worries in my particular case.

So, how does the "graceful restart" work? I hear: "look for an empty condition within that hour, and if found, restart, otherwise wait until next checked hour occurs." Is that accurate?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

By graceful restart, we just mean that the server is instructed to shut down and the system waits for it to do so before trying to force it closed. In the case of Minecraft, for instance, a "stop" command is issued so that all unsaved information is properly written to disk.
NAC2Classic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by NAC2Classic »

Regarding the new Firewall feature, some feedback:

I absolutely love it. Crysis 2 has no global identifier type ban, so cheats can simply make another account and be back in a couple of minutes... IP blocking them is VERY satisfying and effective.

* I'm guessing that for my application block "any" from "this IP" is the best choice performance-wise, rather than blocking, say "UDP"? Regardless, I certainly dont notice any performance hit with this feature.

* The IP field is slightly to narrow to completely contain a 12 digit IP if the digits are fat...

* A "note" or "comment" field would really broaden the ease of maintenance (and thus utility) of the firewall tool. Some hackers I want to keep blocked for eternity, others just until Im pretty sure they have moved on. Problem is, I dont remember which is which!

A thousand thank yous for this tool.

PS: the new font usage for the "reply" text with the RCON tool is a big improvement in both clarity and readability. Much noticed and appreciated.

PSS: I had occasion to sign server ownership to another party, and was impressed yet again with the quality of error checking and attention to detail in your control panel code. ++