Purchasing a VPS/VDS..

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
ren3gade
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Purchasing a VPS/VDS..

Post by ren3gade »

Okay, so I am planning on purchasing a VPS. I am newer to VPS and dedi server hosting. I have ran, and setup my own GameServers for years now but never from scratch, but Im sure i could figure it out easily and i do have some friends who know what to do to help me when i need it. I am planning to start a Multi-Gaming clan eventually, but im going to start with 1 Counter-Strike: Source server. It will probably be anywhere between a 28-32 slot server to start off, but i plan to upgrade it once it becomes popular.

But here are all of my questions..

1.) Would the Single Core VPS for $30.00 a month be good enough to run this server with ease, have no hiccups or lag or choke, and run smooth even with plugins added onto it?
2.) About how many slots can the single core VPS handle without any problems?
3.) Would i run out of bandwith or ram?
4.) What is done and how well and strong is the server to withstand from DDoS attacks? I know nothing can stop all DDoS attacks, because some are just too strong. But please inform me on what can be done and what is done on your VPS's to help stop DDoS attacks.
5.) Which operating system should i use? My friend said windows, but which one?

Lastly, i have been told that a Source game like CS:S takes up 1 core, and that is it. Is this true? If so, can the $30.00 VPS really handle 1-3 gameservers? or will it only run the one CS:S server like i said? Also.. my friend that runs a VPS through you guys said that the Windows Operation System take about 1gb of RAM. Is this true? If so, that leaves me no RAM for my gameserver?

I am looking to run a very stable server, and I want it to be perfect with no problems. But i am currently on a budget at the moment so i am looking for the reliable host with the good deal. But i am only going to be running 1 server at the moment but many more in the future. I will be purchasing many things through you guys in the future if i decide to purchase from NFO. Also, i would be very interested in a Sponsorship or Partnership plan if possible. I could help you guys out very very much if you can help me as well. I could do some amazing advertising and referring for you guys, which would produce you guys many more sales.

Thank you for your help, and your time.
-Ren3gade
ren3gade
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Purchasing a VPS/VDS..

Post by ren3gade »

Also, what location should I host my VPS at if i decide to go with NFO? I was thinking Chicago. But is that not the best choice?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

ren3gade wrote:1.) Would the Single Core VPS for $30.00 a month be good enough to run this server with ease, have no hiccups or lag or choke, and run smooth even with plugins added onto it?
This depends on what you're running, since the performance of plugins can vary widely. I would expect the base game to run well on a single-core VDS, though, if you just run a single server.
2.) About how many slots can the single core VPS handle without any problems?
A single server would likely run well, of any size. If you wish to run multiple servers, they'd need to be smaller and you will need to optimize well. I recommend a 2+ core VDS for multiple servers.
3.) Would i run out of bandwith or ram?
You can always purchase more of either of these later, after you see how the server runs. I would not expect for you to hit your bandwidth allotment with a single server. The RAM usage depends on your plugin load.
4.) What is done and how well and strong is the server to withstand from DDoS attacks? I know nothing can stop all DDoS attacks, because some are just too strong. But please inform me on what can be done and what is done on your VPS's to help stop DDoS attacks.
We discuss how we handle (D)DoS attacks here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =25&t=4931. We do not specialize in (D)DoS mitigation, but our customers have told us that our abilities far exceed those of other GSPs.
5.) Which operating system should i use? My friend said windows, but which one?
You may want to consider a version Linux (such as Debian) if you are purchasing a single-core VDS, as the OS will use less RAM, and RAM will be at a premium for you. In terms of other factors, either Linux or Windows should work well.
Lastly, i have been told that a Source game like CS:S takes up 1 core, and that is it. Is this true? If so, can the $30.00 VPS really handle 1-3 gameservers?
It really does vary, which is why we give a range. We've heard of customers running a dozen Halo servers on a single-core VDS before hitting resource limits, for instance, and other customers run a single TF2 server and hit those limits. It would be best to test this for yourself and upgrade the package later if need be (we make upgrading painless).
Also.. my friend that runs a VPS through you guys said that the Windows Operation System take about 1gb of RAM. Is this true? If so, that leaves me no RAM for my gameserver?
Windows uses about 300 megabytes of RAM.

For a single server, you might also consider our standard shared hosting. We offer the guaranteed highest performance on this and you would not need to worry about CPU or RAM; we also handle game updates, backups, and so on for you, and have a control panel with a nice rcon tool and other features.
Also, what location should I host my VPS at if i decide to go with NFO? I was thinking Chicago. But is that not the best choice?
Generally the location closest to you is best. If your players are spread out across the US, consider Chicago or Dallas.
ren3gade
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by ren3gade »

Okay thank you for clearing up my questions. That has helped me a lot.

Do you guys do anything with Partnership or Sponsorship? I was sponsored by a gameserver/hosting company awhile back, and I got them many sales. I know what to do when it comes to getting you more costumers =)
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

ren3gade wrote:Okay thank you for clearing up my questions. That has helped me a lot.

Do you guys do anything with Partnership or Sponsorship? I was sponsored by a gameserver/hosting company awhile back, and I got them many sales. I know what to do when it comes to getting you more costumers =)
Right now we aren't looking into any kind of sponsorships or partnering.

It's just something that tends to never work out for either party.
ren3gade
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by ren3gade »

hiimcody1 wrote:
ren3gade wrote:Okay thank you for clearing up my questions. That has helped me a lot.

Right now we aren't looking into any kind of sponsorships or partnering.

It's just something that tends to never work out for either party.
New to forums? Do you work for NFO?
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

I do, my rank just isn't fixed on the forums.

Edit:
Anyone else that works here can confirm.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

"hiimcody1" is currently an NFo in training.

He is correct though, we do not normally offer sponsorships due to the amount of overhead required for them and the usual lack of pay off.

However if you feel you are an exception you can go ahead and open a request and we can send it to our CEO John (Edge100x).
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
ren3gade
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by ren3gade »

kraze wrote:"hiimcody1" is currently an NFo in training.

He is correct though, we do not normally offer sponsorships due to the amount of overhead required for them and the usual lack of pay off.

However if you feel you are an exception you can go ahead and open a request and we can send it to our CEO John (Edge100x).
I would like this to be sent over to Edge100x. I really am interested in getting a sponsorship and helping you guys out.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Go ahead and open a support request and in the message ask that it be sent to John.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!