[Questions] VPS for Killing Floor

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Enniroc
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

[Questions] VPS for Killing Floor

Post by Enniroc »

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a 3-Core VPS to host 2 Killing Floor servers. 1st one will be 35 slots and 2nd one will be 20 slots. Will it be able to handle the loads or more Core/Ram is needed? I'm currently using another GSP but there server seems to have a hard time keeping up with all the gun fire and explosions going on with a full server. Some of our shots would not even register or come out of the guns. I'll appreciate anyone with knowledge of Killing Floor and there resource/spec requirements to reply. Also the 35 slots is somewhat heavily modded as the 20 slots is medium modded. Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: [Questions] VPS for Killing Floor

Post by Edge100x »

I know that we have a customer who runs a KF server on an unmanaged VDS that is in the 40s at least. In terms of our shared non-VDS-based servers, I've seen a number of customers running 50-slot servers without complaint.
Enniroc
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Enniroc »

How many Core do you think I'll need? 3-Core VPS sounds about right?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

If I remember correctly, Killingfloor is only lightly multithreaded. You likely wouldn't be able to use anything more than 2 cores, with the game on one core, and a bit extra on the second core along with OS operations and such.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, for these 2 game servers, 2-3 cores should do well. Start low, since you can easily upgrade.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

For some reason I was thinking for just one server. For two of them, I agree with John, likely 2-3 cores, starting with two and upgrading to 3 later on if needed.
TimeX
Enniroc
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Enniroc »

Thanks for quick reply guy. I'm going to go ahead and get the 3-Core just for safe measures and downgrade if needed.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I would recommend going low and upgrading if need be. It is easier to know if more power is needed, and you save more money at first since a downgrade doesn't lower the price until your next renewal (best to do downgrades near the end of your billing cycle).
TimeX
Enniroc
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Enniroc »

Well I most likely will do a 3rd game server if the VPS can handle it so I'm going with the 3-Core route for now. Thanks for your all you reply's.
Enniroc
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Enniroc »

I'm having some problem trying to order the VPS. The game I want to run isn't on the page.
Please select installs for the games you wish to run on your managed VDS, then resubmit the form.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Just select anything else there to get past that screen -- I'll remove it in the next version of that page (since we no longer require that games be pre-selected), but for now, we'll have to work around it.
Enniroc
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Enniroc »

The order went through and the VPS is running. How do I go about installing Killing Floor on it? (and remove the game that was installed just to bypass the ordering page)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

When you order a KF server through the order page and tell the system to put it onto the VDS, you'll be presented with the option of adding the KF files. The other files can't be removed, but they won't hurt you to have.
Enniroc
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Enniroc »

An error was encountered when processing your order.

You have submitted a change order request that would erase one or more servers from your package:

Enniroc (a virtual server)

Because we know that this is usually a mistake, we have disallowed erasures by default. If you truly wish to proceed and have server(s) removed, contact us, and we can provide you with a code to allow this.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Don't do it as a "Change to existing server". You will need to use the other option of being a new server, and then select the additional option of having it installed on your managed VDS.
TimeX