Server Restart

carbonite
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server Restart

Post by carbonite »

Hey,

How come it takes like 10mins for server to restart after a crash? Is it possible to reduce this time?

Thanks
-Carbonite
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Server Restart

Post by kraze »

Hi,

Are you referring to our automated script that restarts server? If so that is because the script only checks servers every 5-10 minutes and then restarts them if they are seen as down.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
carbonite
New to forums
New to forums

Post by carbonite »

Yea, I was just wondering because the previous Gsp i was at had Tcadmin and that restarted it after 20 seconds or so. Is it possible to reduce the restart time here?

thanks
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Unfortunately changing that time is not possible.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Servers that actually crash are restarted here 5 seconds after they crash. It's only the ones that freeze and stop responding remotely that go 5-10 minutes.

If your server is freezing, you should look into your plugins ASAP. Freezing is unusual and almost always reflects a plugin issue.
carbonite
New to forums
New to forums

Post by carbonite »

Hmm ok im puzzled then. I've removed all the plugins I've installed but still wont restart after 5 secs after a crash. What would you recommend i try next?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

This tells us that it's not truly crashing. What is showing in the logs when it happens?
carbonite
New to forums
New to forums

Post by carbonite »

Where would i find these logs?
Kropp
A regular
A regular

Post by Kropp »

My server has been doing the same thing since I switched to windows, I brought it up and I was just told to remove all addons which really does nothing.

Its some kind of error with your system and windows working together I believe.
It was fine with Linux but then I went to windows and garrysmod updated which started this annoying error.
Mrkrabz
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Mrkrabz »

Running my Server on windows with the VDS replicates this error if I for example spawn 3-4 vehicles inside each other, It will cause the server to freeze up and not respond, the application itself doesn't crash. I have a custom program running that query's the server every 3-5 seconds and if it doesn't respond within 10 seconds it will restart.

I'm not entirely sure how TCadmin works around this tho.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

We avoid having our system restart that fast for lack of respopnse to avoid unintended restarts. A quick connection glitch, slow server startup, and longer map changes can mean quite a bit longer than 10 seconds of not responding.

For this reason, our system makes multiple checks to make sure it is continuing to stay down before attempting a restart so that restarts don't happen at inappropiate times.

In addition to this, further time is added to see if the server is still down after the restart attempt, and an automated repair script is run if so. If your server does not come back up until the repair is run (plus however long it takes your server to actually start), then that is where you will see times around the 10 minute mark before it is back up.
TimeX