VDS Package Question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VDS Package Question

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

So right now we are running a 3-core package with 1gb memory upgrade.

Watching things with the server, I am finding that the CPU normally runs at less than 10%, unless we turn on the minecraft server, where it jumps up. But this server is rarely used.
The memory ranges from 60% to 90% at times. Usually because of a Procon layer that gets retarded and for some reason jumps to 3-4 times what it's supposed to use, where I then have to restart it to settle it back down to normal.

The question is, where I use so little CPU and mostly memory, would I be right in thinking I could manage with a 2-core with a 2gb memory upgrade? 3 would be better but it's not offered with 2-core.

It only really saves us about $9 a month to downgrade I guess.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
AciDPuke
A regular
A regular

Re: VDS Package Question

Post by AciDPuke »

If It was me I would upgrade to the 4 core with no extra memory and spend a few extra bucks maybe skip subway that week and make a sandwich at home. The discounts running on the VDS packages right are the lowest I have ever seen.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Why upgrade. I think I have more than I need right now.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

.=QUACK=.Major.Pain wrote:So right now we are running a 3-core package with 1gb memory upgrade.

Watching things with the server, I am finding that the CPU normally runs at less than 10%, unless we turn on the minecraft server, where it jumps up. But this server is rarely used.
The memory ranges from 60% to 90% at times. Usually because of a Procon layer that gets retarded and for some reason jumps to 3-4 times what it's supposed to use, where I then have to restart it to settle it back down to normal.

The question is, where I use so little CPU and mostly memory, would I be right in thinking I could manage with a 2-core with a 2gb memory upgrade? 3 would be better but it's not offered with 2-core.

It only really saves us about $9 a month to downgrade I guess.

You could probably get away using a two-core with a 2GB memory upgrade. However like you said yourself it is only saving you $9. If you leave it as is it will allow you space to grow.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
AciDPuke
A regular
A regular

Post by AciDPuke »

.=QUACK=.Major.Pain wrote:Why upgrade. I think I have more than I need right now.
It was only a suggestion... Im not sure if your paying monthly but if you pay 3 months in advance there is even another 10% off. The 4 core would come out to $72 a month...$18 a core.. if your already at 4 gigs of memory..why not take advantage of it
Spiritwind
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Spiritwind »

Minecraft servers really arent CPU extensive -- unless your running a heavy amount of plugins.

With the jump in your CPU usage, it seems to me that you prob have a plugin malfunctioning.

For the most part, 1 Minecraft Server can get by perfectly on just one core. The plugin side of Minecraft is Single-Threaded, meaning it can only use one Core. While the Map Chunk processing and other server resources are Multithreaded, so if your running a big map or have a lot of slots, 2 Cores would be best.

If you think it might be a Minecraft Plugin problem that is consuming so much CPU resources as well, than feel more than welcome to post your server.log in Pastie.org and give us the link -- I'd be happy to look over it and help guide you through getting things running smooth.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Ours isn't that bad since we changed to craftbukkit ++.

I just see the CPU spike when the set off large amounts of TNT or do other large events.

Honestly, I hate the game for setting it up. But now that it's setup, I don't touch it other than updating the plugins.

As for the plugins, I put the one's the kids in our clan ask to be installed. I removed several about 8 months ago.

This server is hardly used anymore since they play other games now.