Control panel feedback: Firewall Beta

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
NAC2Classic
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Control panel feedback: Firewall Beta

Post by NAC2Classic »

Regarding the Firewall feature, some feedback:

I absolutely love it. Crysis 2 has no global identifier type ban, so cheats can simply make another account and be back in a couple of minutes... IP blocking them is VERY satisfying and effective. My servers simply disappear from their browser.

* The IP field in a custom filter is slightly too narrow to completely contain a 12 digit IP if the digits are fat...

* A "note" or "comment" field would massively enhance the utility of the firewall tool. Some hackers I want to keep blocked for eternity, others just until Im pretty sure they have moved on. Problem is, I dont remember which is which!

* There is a glitch where if all 10 filter slots are used, and the first one deleted, then adding a new custom filter to slot 1 will add it as filter 1 at the bottom of the list (after 10), while showing slot 1 still empty. My accounts currently demonstrate this.

Regardless, this tool revolutionized the effectiveness of my anticheat procedures for Crysis 2.
Thank you!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Control panel feedback: Firewall Beta

Post by kraze »

* A "note" or "comment" field would massively enhance the utility of the firewall tool. Some hackers I want to keep blocked for eternity, others just until Im pretty sure they have moved on. Problem is, I dont remember which is which!
That is an interesting idea, it seems most of our customers use the firewall tab as an IP blocker instead of blocking attacks. John is working on adding an option where users can just add a set list of IP's to the firewall tab and it will block those IP's completely. Maybe he can add that in or allow us to comment out sections;
192.168.1.1 //XXhacker - Aimbot
* There is a glitch where if all 10 filter slots are used, and the first one deleted, then adding a new custom filter to slot 1 will add it as filter 1 at the bottom of the list (after 10), while showing slot 1 still empty. My accounts currently demonstrate this.
This is done on purpose, the reason is in some cases an "allow" rule needs to be added before any "block" rules. Many people do not think that far ahead and end up needing to adjust all there rules later just to add an allow one.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm glad that it's working well for you! We're certainly still working on improvements to this tool and I appreciate the feedback.
* The IP field in a custom filter is slightly too narrow to completely contain a 12 digit IP if the digits are fat...
This may be a browser-specific issue, as I made sure it was the right size for me as part of my testing (I'm picky about things like that). I'll take a closer look.
Nod, this is planned for the next iteration of the tool. I'm also debating the addition of an expiration option. I hesitate to add too many more options, though, as it's a bit cluttered already -- I'll have to consider some redesign possibilities.
New filters shouldn't show up at the bottom, so I'll have to look at this.
NAC2Classic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by NAC2Classic »

TY. Jazzed to hear about the planned comment field! I like the expiration date idea as well, but against interface clutter I might rate it a 6 against the comment field's 10. Even with it I would probably simply put "create date" in my comment.

I use the firewall exclusively as an IP blocker, so the "list to block" idea would be cleaner for me, especially given a way to comment each line after the IP. I haven't noticed any performance hit with 10 filters... I would certainly take advantage of support for blocking about twice that.

Regarding the field width issue, I am running firefox, the issue persists through various versions. As an aside, I really notice/appreciate the tweaks to the fonts and readability you have made in the RCON tool responses.

Thanks again: Your control panel is the bomb.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

NAC2Classic wrote:TY. Jazzed to hear about the planned comment field! I like the expiration date idea as well, but against interface clutter I might rate it a 6 against the comment field's 10. Even with it I would probably simply put "create date" in my comment.
The system also keeps track of the creation date for you -- you can see it by hovering over "?" for a rule.
I use the firewall exclusively as an IP blocker, so the "list to block" idea would be cleaner for me, especially given a way to comment each line after the IP. I haven't noticed any performance hit with 10 filters... I would certainly take advantage of support for blocking about twice that.
The performance problems crop up when lots of customers create many rules =\.

On Linux/VDSes, on my "to do" is adding an IP list option. It would be more for blocking lots of hosts due to DDoS, though.
Regarding the field width issue, I am running firefox, the issue persists through various versions.
This should be fixed now.
As an aside, I really notice/appreciate the tweaks to the fonts and readability you have made in the RCON tool responses.
Thanks!
NAC2Classic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by NAC2Classic »

* Field width is now ample, as well as curing a nasty browser habit of not releasing the highlight/select mouse function for copy/paste.

* The hoverable question mark (cool!) only appears by one filter? (#2 on one server, #1 in another).

* The "ordering issue" seems to be gone as well, making me doubt my prior eyes!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

NAC2Classic wrote:* Field width is now ample, as well as curing a nasty habit of not releasing the highlight/select mouse function for copy/paste.

* The "ordering issue" seems to be gone as well, making me doubt my prior eyes!
I fixed both of those, yep :).
* The hoverable question mark (cool!) only appears by one filter at a time? (#2 on one server, #1 in another).
It appears next to any rule, but only rules that have been created since that feature was added.