Procon Layer Servers

purebattlefield
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Procon Layer Servers

Post by purebattlefield »

Hi all,

We run our ProCon through a layer server. We're currently use Gameservers.com and before that we were using Rconhostingservices.net. Both were not anywhere near the level of support or reliability of our NFO game server. I was wondering if it's normal for ProCon layers to drop connection now and again. Seems like our server will drop all procon clients connection (mini crash) for 30 seconds or so every now and again (1-2 times a day, roughly). Today we've been having a hell of a time with it being down for 30 minute or more chunks at a time. Our players are hating us.

Is this a normal trend for other people who use a procon layer host? Maybe we've just picked two duds? It is super frustrating to have a super reliable and stable game server and then a crappy procon layer which randomly dumps all our functionality we've implemented. We've gone a few days of mostly stable service and not added anything new and then bam, dead layer tonight for a while.

Any advice here?
ImageImage
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Procon Layer Servers

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

GS normally overloads their servers so I can see the reason with them.

Other company I never used.

Is the layer totally disconnecting from the server, or is your Procon having issues connecting to the layer itself?
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
jaythegreat1
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by jaythegreat1 »

I've noticed this more often since the last server update.. not sure if it's coincidence or not, but ours is hosted third party.
Chill n Kill Gaming - http://www.cnkgaming.com
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

I run 5 layers and don't really have an issue other than connecting to layer.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

buy a VDS box from here (single core unmanaged), setup procon on it. Done. No issues been doing it since BC2 and maybe just enough room to add TS3 to it.
DeeVeeOss
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DeeVeeOss »

I get the same issues with Gameservers. It's farely rare.
-
Keep in mind, the "mini-disconnects" are also caused when the map changes.
-
But barring that, yes, I've had additional issues including 1 time it was down for an hour or so.
-
So what you're going to go ahead and do...is actually setup your OWN Procon server.
-
To do this, all you have to do is d/l Procon, and instead of connecting it to the rented layer, simply connect it STRAIGHT to the game server itself. You'll need the RCON password (only the person renting the server will have this info)
-
Then, you download all the plugins that you need to run on your server onto YOUR Procon setup.
-
Then, the next time GS is on the fritz, simply disconnect from them and SWITCH TO YOUR OWN PROCON, until GS is back up.
-
I only have some basics on my standalone machine. Autobalance etc.
-
But it's more than enough to cover for GS while they get their stuff together.
-
Frankly, I have a box that is on 24/7, so I don't even need GS, I can just run it straight off my own computer, but I still like to have GS there and simply use my own PROCON whenever GS is down. Which is very rare.
-
Hope this helped,

DVO