How To: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Custom map rotati

xancara
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How To: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Custom map rotati

Post by xancara »

So, I spent a couple of days trying to figure this one out and I figured I would share it with the community and probably on a few other sites as well. They originally put a nice little easy way to add mapgroups to a seperate file, but they removed the easy way to do it with the most recent build (and it might stay that way).

Here is the run down. You must add several lines into the gamemodes.txt.

::: WARNING ::::: THIS IS NOT ADVISED UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL EXACTLY :::

Open gamemodes.txt from your server (or your local folder). You will want to make a backup copy of the file just in case something goes terribly wrong (you will know because you won't be able to connect to your server anymore).

Next you will have to go to the section that you want to edit. For most people that will be running custom rotations, that will be gungame (ArmsRace) or casual. For this tutorial, we will be placing the new rotation into a classic casual server.

First, find the spot in your gamemodes.txt to edit the section for classic casual

Next, you want to scroll down to where that section defines that allowed map groups for that mode. You specifically want to do this for the online mode if you are hosting this server for internet use.

Now, create a name for your new map group that you want to use. For this example, i used ag_rotation. You need to place this as a map group so it becomes "mg_ag_rotation". Repeat this step for all of the modes that you may want to use this same map group for such as competitive mode or even gungame.

After you have done that, you now need to define the map group that you just entered. To do this, first locate the map groups section of the file.

Next you need to copy all the information that you want to use for that new group. The easiest way to do this is to copy an existing group to use it as a template, I used mg_bomb as my template since i was including most of those maps in my rotation.

Now, just make the group that you listed above and include all the maps that you want to be in the rotation.

In the example, we made the mapgroup ag_rotation and we added the CS maps, de_lake and de_bank to the existing bomb group and we took out de_train. Keep in mind, if you are adding a custom map, you will need to add some more information to the maps section. That will be covered in a seperate tutorial at some point but I will include a sample screenshot just for those of you that want it.

Next you will need to add the map group to your launch options of your server. We host all of our server through a VDS with NFOServers.com so I can simply change that on my managed panel. If you host through another company, you may need to open a support ticket to have your startup command changed or it will be listed somewhere on your control panel. If you run your own dedicated box, simply add +mapgroup <your new group here> to your server's start up script.

Just like magic, you should have a new rotation.

Now, restart your server and make sure you can still connect to it. If you connect, you should be all set and ready to go.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: How To: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Custom map ro

Post by Edge100x »

Thanks for the post!

Valve advises that adjustments should be made to gamemodes_server.txt instead of gamemodes.txt, and I recommend that, as well -- gamemodes.txt may be replaced by Valve game updates in the future.

I also recommend setting the mapgroup in the autoexec.cfg (which is what we do by default). This does avoids the need to edit the command line.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Thanks for this!
xancara
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xancara »

Edge100x wrote:Thanks for the post!

Valve advises that adjustments should be made to gamemodes_server.txt instead of gamemodes.txt, and I recommend that, as well -- gamemodes.txt may be replaced by Valve game updates in the future.

I also recommend setting the mapgroup in the autoexec.cfg (which is what we do by default). This does avoids the need to edit the command line.
I looked everywhere for help trying to get this to work right. I decided to just take a stab at it making the adjustments to the files myself and getting it working for myself so making this post isn't a big deal. Rather have people that need a resource, have one to reference.

I tried the gamemodes_servers.txt and it didn't function properly. That's why I went to this method. Also, if you exec a mapgroup in the command line, it will override whatever is in the autoexec.cfg file. I actually couldn't get my custom rotation to load by having it in the autoexec (just kept defaulting to mg_bomb) but i may have just not messed with it enough.

I am sure that it will be a pain every time an update comes out, but until certain things get fixed (since they have taken several things out in this most recent patch) this might be the most efficient way to do things, IMHO.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

CS:GO is certainly very much still in beta, at least from the perspective of server hosting. =\
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I have seen a few reports of people not getting the gamemodes_server.txt file to work correctly. While I haven't confirmed if this is the case for anyone yet, make sure that you are not using the gamemodes_server.txt.example file by mistake, as the server will not read that file with .example at the end of it.
TimeX
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

xancara wrote:
Edge100x wrote:Thanks for the post!

I looked everywhere for help trying to get this to work right. I decided to just take a stab at it making the adjustments to the files myself and getting it working for myself so making this post isn't a big deal. Rather have people that need a resource, have one to reference.

I tried the gamemodes_servers.txt and it didn't function properly. That's why I went to this method. Also, if you exec a mapgroup in the command line, it will override whatever is in the autoexec.cfg file. I actually couldn't get my custom rotation to load by having it in the autoexec (just kept defaulting to mg_bomb) but i may have just not messed with it enough.

I am sure that it will be a pain every time an update comes out, but until certain things get fixed (since they have taken several things out in this most recent patch) this might be the most efficient way to do things, IMHO.
Im Trying to add Mix mode,but i always keep defaulting to mg_bomb,I myself havent toyed with the gamemode txt file.
Trying to figure out if i can have 2 map groups mg_bomb and mg_hostage in casual competitive modes using the autoexec cfg.
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

I got the maps working like de_lake,safehouse etc in the rotation,but the maps added such as de lake and safehouse,i cannot buy any wepons in casual/competitive etc.aztec and the standard bomb maps you can,am i missing something?
Wexcide
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Wexcide »

Edge100x wrote:CS:GO is certainly very much still in beta, at least from the perspective of server hosting. =\
You can say that again. I miss the Source way of doing things.
Gallomimia
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Gallomimia »

I'd like to add my thanks for this information. I am eagerly awaiting the tutorial on modifying the gamemodes.txt file (or gamemodes_server.txt as preferred) so as to facilitate custom maps. I once had three of them working just find on my servers, however as the post mentions, updates nuke the gamemodes.txt file and that is now gone.

As I recall, it was very simple change to perform; just a copy and paste of the gamemodes file provided with the map into the correct area of the existing gamemodes file, observing hierarchy and nesting correctly.
geronimo
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by geronimo »

I'm just trying t set up a Casual Bomb game with the smaller maps like de_shorttrain, de_bank, de_lake, de_safehouse, de_sugarcane, and de_stmarc and i keep messing this up. Can I give someone here to access my panel and see if they can do it?

Thanks in advance
LittleB
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by LittleB »

webster wrote:I've spent 9 hours yesterday trying to change variables for individual game modes and also tried make a custom map cycle. I accomplished nothing. I've read every resource I could find on Google. I followed the gamemode_server example file word for word, and yes I uploaded it named just gamemode_server in txt file format. I have experience modifying game servers all the way back to the first cs.

Issue #1 anything setting I've tried to modify in the gamemode_server.txt would get by-passed by the game mode regardless. I've even tried coping the entire gamemode.txt into the gamemode_server.txt and changing just a few things nothing would take hold.

Issue #2 Anytime I've tried making a custom map rotation within the gamemode_server.txt just how the instructions say from valve. For example mg_custom then add a few maps. Then go into autoexec.cfg and have it set to run it. After doing so would not let me connect to server. No matter how many different angles i've tried. I've even tried modifying the gamemode.txt dirrectly and only resulted in not being able to connect, or a crash.

Issue # 3 This issue annoys me the most I have to choose either mg_bomb or mg_hostage. I want to run both hostage and bomb maps. The classic_random option doesn't work.

I've tried changes in classic competitive and in causal mode. I run Sourcemod and it's stable it's the only way I can switch to cs_ maps because I've choose the mg_bomb mode.

I've tried changing settings in server.cfg and they just get bypassed, unless sv_cheats are enabled. Can't exactly run a public server with sv_cheats on.

To top it off yesterday it was taking 10 minutes to reboot the server every time I wanted to test something. Which is better today.

I've tried making changes after todays update with no luck.

The Configuration server: cfg.game.nfoservers.com:27015 [cvar] Clan

Have you tried a server wipe?I know my custom map group stopped working after a update and the wipe fixed it.I know some cvars are buggy,but the majority of the one's i've tried, work.
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

In the gamemode.txt file i copied everything and pasted it into my gamemode server txt file ,added the maplist/mapcycle

cs_italy
cs_office
de_aztec
de_dust
de_dust2
de_inferno
de_nuke
de_train then added custom maps
cs_backalley_go - downloaded custom maps
de_saunahouse - downloaded custom maps

Then for the custm de maps to work correctly i added this into the gamemode server txt file :

Code: Select all

"de_saunahouse"
		{
			"nameID"			"#SFUI_Map_de_saunahouse"
			"name"				"de_saunahouse"
			"imagename"			"map-saunahouse-overall"
			"t_arms"			"models/weapons/t_arms_anarchist.mdl"
			"t_models"
			{
				"tm_anarchist"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantA"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantb"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantc"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantd"		""
			}
			"ct_arms"			"models/weapons/ct_arms_fbi.mdl"
			"ct_models"
			{
				"ctm_fbi"		""
				"ctm_fbi_variantA"	""
				"ctm_fbi_variantB"	""
				"ctm_fbi_variantC"	""
				"ctm_fbi_variantD"	""
			}
			"hostage_models"
			{
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantD.mdl"	""
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantE.mdl"	""
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantF.mdl"	""
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantG.mdl"	""
			}
		}

"cs_backalley_go"
		{
			"nameID"			"#SFUI_Map_cs_backalley_go"
			"name"				"cs_backalley_go"
			"imagename"			"map-backalley_go-overall"
			"t_arms"			"models/weapons/t_arms_anarchist.mdl"
			"t_models"
			{
				"tm_anarchist"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantA"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantb"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantc"		""
				"tm_anarchist_variantd"		""
			}
			"ct_arms"			"models/weapons/ct_arms_fbi.mdl"
			"ct_models"
			{
				"ctm_fbi"		""
				"ctm_fbi_variantA"	""
				"ctm_fbi_variantB"	""
				"ctm_fbi_variantC"	""
				"ctm_fbi_variantD"	""
			}
			"hostage_models"
			{
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantD.mdl"	""
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantE.mdl"	""
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantF.mdl"	""
				"models/hostage/hostage_variantG.mdl"	""
			}
		}
Also added this :

"mapgroups"
	{
		"mg_bomb"									// mapgroup definition
		{
			"imagename"	       "mapgroup-bomb"
                     "imageID"            "#SFUI_Mapgroup_bomb"
                     "name"               "mg_bomb"
			"maps"
			{
				"de_dust"		""
				"de_dust2"		""
				"de_nuke"		""
				"de_train"		""
				"de_inferno"		""
				"de_aztec"		""
                            "cs_office"          ""
                            "cs_italy"           ""
                            "cs_backalley_go"    ""
                            "de_saunahouse"     ""

}
		}
	}
}
So i have hostage and bomb maps in my cycle and they work,of course add the info to autoexec cfg (mg_bomb)
kdawgmaster
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by kdawgmaster »

I tired to install cs_estate and in the console i get this ounter-Strike: Global Offensive
Map: cs_estate
Players: 1 (0 bots) / 30 humans
Build: 5036
Server Number: 4

SignalXWriteOpportunity(3)
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 7168
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 24
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 512
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 6
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 2176
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 2560
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 2432
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 7418
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table downloadables, index 192
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table modelprecache, index 40
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table modelprecache, index 41
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table modelprecache, index 976
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table soundprecache, index 6659
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table soundprecache, index 2940
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table soundprecache, index 2942
CNetworkStringTable::ParseUpdate: NULL pEntry, table soundprecache, index 2943
Attempted to precache unknown particle system "scenes/seal/ctmap_de_aztec25.vcd"!
Attempted to precache unknown particle system "scenes/seal/ctmap_de_aztec25.vcd"!
failed processing
Dumping messages for channel CLIENT(**.**.***.***:27015) 0x0A24D110
Header bits 104, flags == 177
19 messages
0 -----------------------
svc_Print: type( 16 ) group ( 0 ) size ( 2068 bytes ), startbit 6 end bit 902
svc_Print: "
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Map: cs_estate
Players: 1 (0 bots) / 30 humans
Build: 5036
Server Number: 4

And cant get the map to work in the server
LittleB
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by LittleB »

Whats the file structure for your server folder look like?Also did you add the bsp & nav files to your the maps folder on the server?Make sure you have the sv_allowdownload command is set to 1 in your the server.cfg.