L4D2 - String Table Error

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
mike13
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

L4D2 - String Table Error

Post by mike13 »

Steam had an update 2 days ago and now my server will not allow anyone to connect to it. I get an error that says "Disconnected. Map does not match the version on the server. (string table differs)". I am certain that the same version of custom campaign maps are installed on both the server and my computer as I installed new just to make certain. Nothing works. Techsupport said to rename "addons" folder and restart server. This allowed only valve campaigns to load. Now 30 hours later other private servers are working but not mine. Techsupport has no suggestions.

Please help.
Thanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: L4D2 - String Table Error

Post by Edge100x »

If this is an unmanaged server, it's correct to have you post here, and they answered more than they should have.

Have you tried a -verify_all on your game files?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Did you try doing -verify_all and re-update your server to be sure that everything is fully updated?

You also said that with addons disabled the stock campaigns would load but not the custom ones? Are those also updated and working with the latest version of the game?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Also if your are running custom maps on your server, if you have too many, this will happen. We went through this issue 2 months ago. Delete your old maps. Best to delete half of them and this will make room for you to add newer ones.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
Patriot
A regular
A regular

Post by Patriot »

I had an issue with one of the custom campaigns after the latest update from Valve. After running a manual update with -verify_all everything worked.

I keep that command in each servers update script. It only adds a few minutes to the update process and is a good check against corrupted or out of date files.

Code: Select all

hldsupdatetool -command update -game left4dead2 -verify_all -dir 
Patriot
Patriot
A regular
A regular

Post by Patriot »

I had an issue with one of the custom campaigns after the latest update from Valve. After running a manual update with -verify_all everything worked. Of course, that process does not look at custom .vpk files, but still....

I keep that command in each servers update script. It only adds a few minutes to the update process and is a good check against corrupted or out of date files.

Code: Select all

hldsupdatetool -command update -game left4dead2 -verify_all -dir 
Patriot