DayZ Setup

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: DayZ Setup

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Well, I'd still love to see arma 2 beta process support. I have no problem maintaining the dayz files myself.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

FlyingMongoose wrote:Well, I'd still love to see arma 2 beta process support. I have no problem maintaining the dayz files myself.
Yes, hopefully we can get that pushed out the door. Only issue is deciding what betas to run, it seems they update those pretty often so updating that option 2-3 times a week isn't feasible.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Yes I can understand that, honestly though, those who do what I intend to do typically won't update to a particular version until endorsed by Day Z Dev staff anyway. So even a "once a week" or "once every 14 days" would not be a problem from a server admin standpoint.

Take this into consideration, Day Z official patch was released on 9/6 (yesterday by my time zone), version 1.7.2.6 is it's version. Right now, existing servers, 64% are running 1.7.2.5 (which means a vast majority still use the old Day Z files (now obviously this is something that would be maintained by me), but with Day Z commander (most used server browser for Day Z from what i understand), indicating more servers running a particular version more users will stick to said version.

Current version of Arma 2 beta is 96584/85, 55% of them still run 96063 (released 2 weeks ago I believe), this would indicate a large portion of servers do still run 2 versions old. Also, the Arma 2 betas are backwards compatible up to I believe 3 or 4 versions from what I've been told (though I may have been misinformed here), but I can at least confirm that my client running 96584 can connect to a particular server running 96063, but I know a Day Z client can not connected to current non-beta server of Arma 2 unless it's I think 95248 or later.

Anyway, I'm really glad to be getting regular and prompt responses from you. Also, if you want a guinnea pig I like doing this kinda stuff!
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

To be honest, you could save yourself a lot of issues, and avoid the DayZ Chenaraus hive all together.

Provide your own hive for your customers, and use the Sanctuary install instead.

Once you get to understand it all, it's not to hard to get going.
First one is harder as you are learning it, but once all the file structure is setup, you just need to make database adjustments per each server.
Updating the servers files can be left to the customers, and you maintain any changes needed to the database, which isn't so often.

You could also do the same and offer Lingor Dayz servers.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

I think the issue still remains; "able to run beta executables" that's about it. Anyone with FTP can upload the private hive files and run the mod commands. It's not hard.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

We have a NFO VDS here running Arma2 but we rented a server elsewhere for Dayz because the setup/config would be done for us. We have since closed that server down becasue they would not allow us to whitelist it and grant access via a players guid or player ID.

As I understand it setting up dayz as a mod for Arma2 is pretty doable with the exception of the private hive/ sql database.

Am I correct in understanding that a mysql database would need to be on the same server that is running arma2/dayz?

Would you suffer desyncing (red & yellow chains) if the database were on a remote server or is writing between servers fast enough to keep up with the game?

Under our current VDS rental I dont think there is any way to get access to a database on the same server? Correct?

I'd like to give it a shot but dont want to spend dayz (pun intended) finding out its not possible.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

You need an unmanaged VDS.
I don't think a db here using webhosting would work with the multiple connections,

It's hard enough, mostly because te instructions provided are from people with poor english translations, and instructions that are written by a coder, and poorly written for those who need very detailed instructions.

You have to install a mysql which normally comes with all the mods.
Install perl (Strawberry Perl is best and free)
Seveeral window apps like .net need to be installed, but the coders include most of that stuff in their installers.

A db can be local or remote. I tried both, and I found either worked fine. That's with 15+ players on the server. with 50-100, might perform differently.

We run:

1 x Chernarus
2 x Lingor
1 x Panthera
1 x Takistan
marrr
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by marrr »

.=QUACK=.Major.Pain wrote:You need an unmanaged VDS.
I don't think a db here using webhosting would work with the multiple connections,

It's hard enough, mostly because te instructions provided are from people with poor english translations, and instructions that are written by a coder, and poorly written for those who need very detailed instructions.

You have to install a mysql which normally comes with all the mods.
Install perl (Strawberry Perl is best and free)
Seveeral window apps like .net need to be installed, but the coders include most of that stuff in their installers.

A db can be local or remote. I tried both, and I found either worked fine. That's with 15+ players on the server. with 50-100, might perform differently.

We run:

1 x Chernarus
2 x Lingor
1 x Panthera
1 x Takistan
do you use bliss?
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Using Bliss on Panthera and Takistan.
Using Saintly on Chernarus and Lingor.
dangioffre
A regular
A regular

Post by dangioffre »

I did infact run a DAyz Server on my VPS. 3 Core or higher. Unmanaged. It worked very well. No lag. about 25-30 people
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

Any updates on this? The server files have been public since September of last year.