Need to Ban Brisbane

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
wolfn00b
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Need to Ban Brisbane

Post by wolfn00b »

I have an annoying player from Brisbane, Australia on one of my game servers. He changes his IP every time he gets banned. We have been banning him with the firewall on the control panel (really nice feature btw) but he changes his entire IP and comes back after we block the subnet of his last IP. I have been blocking the first two octets in the firewall but he changes the whole thing.

We know it is him because he has the same user name by default whenever he appears, which he immediately changes to some random name when he connects, and it is always an IP address from Brisbane.

We are renting a Win2008 vds and were wondering about adding either a third-party app within the server or adding something like the iptables like you would use in linux (whatever they use in windows to do this).

Any advice to point us in the best direction?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Need to Ban Brisbane

Post by kraze »

What type of server is this? Are you able to ban by GUID or some other type of ID? When you say blocking the first two octets do you mean the last two(192.168.*.*)?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
wolfn00b
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by wolfn00b »

It's a Wolf ET (yeah I know) server. We ban by IP address within the game for most cheaters, and use the Firewall when we get someone with a dynamic IP who keeps coming back.

By first two octets yes I mean as in 192.168.*.* on the nfo firewall.
wolfn00b
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by wolfn00b »

I looked up all the IP address ranges for Brisbane, and the list is a mile long as expected. So I wanted to import it into an app like PeerBlock or maybe find a way to do it within a script or batch command in Windows.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

For an unmanaged machine something like Peerblock would work. Windows firewall may even have a range block, but I'm not sure.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!