NFo StoryBook...How did you get to NFo?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
wyseguy79
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: NFo StoryBook...How did you get to NFo?

Post by wyseguy79 »

Man I honestly cant remember... Had something to do back when CSS servers were all the rage and I was trying to find a provider that didnt have lag spikes on shared hosting servers. I asked a lot of community servers who they had for hosting and the ones who said NFO, never had lag issues.

Recently I have had my first VDS, and love it 99% of the time. the 1% is due to the whole limitation of not having remote access to a server because of BF3. I feel my VDS could be utilized more if I could get on the desktop and install something. So thats of no complaint towards NFO.
Clay52
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Clay52 »

wyseguy79 wrote:Man I honestly cant remember... Had something to do back when CSS servers were all the rage and I was trying to find a provider that didnt have lag spikes on shared hosting servers. I asked a lot of community servers who they had for hosting and the ones who said NFO, never had lag issues.

Recently I have had my first VDS, and love it 99% of the time. the 1% is due to the whole limitation of not having remote access to a server because of BF3. I feel my VDS could be utilized more if I could get on the desktop and install something. So thats of no complaint towards NFO.
Same here, except for me it was while playing BC2. I'll sum it up in one word, reputation plain and simple. I'd like to go VDS someday when EA releases server files to the public.
Ironman44
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Ironman44 »

I guess this journey started about a year ago. My gaming community, [S&H] Strength and Honor, was renting several BFBC2 servers from Game Servers.
Several of us where burnt out on BC2 around the release time of Homefront so we added a HF server to lineup. The HF server sucked big time it lagged and crashed constantly. About this time our BC2 servers went to shit as well. Support was crap.

We held a community meeting and made a decision to find a new server provided and to get a Dedibox this time. At the advice of some members of a anti cheat community we decided to go with Low Ping game servers. Worse decision I ever made. Even worse than the decision to marry my EX :lol: Worse lagfest I have ever seen on a dedi box.To make that long story short there website was down for a week and they didnt even know it till the owner got back from vacation. After a week of not being able to contact support , there answer was to disable punkbuster on all our servers and reduce player counts to 24 or less. WTH.

After another meeting we decided to contact the owners of the 10 top ranked BC2 servers at the time and ask who there provider was. 6 out of 10 said NFO.
Its been a match made in heaven, BTW have you guys ever thought of starting a match making service ? I still need a new wife :oops:
lookatmego
New to forums
New to forums

Post by lookatmego »

Well I have been hosting minecraft servers since pre-alpha 0.9 and been with various hosts. Back then there wasnt really hosts that would have srevers for minecraft only so I was using vps's which were not THAT good. I slowly switched hosts in the quest of finding the host that I want. I went with hazenet at 1 point,(they went under including my server),brohoster(went under including my server),minecrafthost.ca(had downtime of weeks),redstonehost.com(terrible support and servers),myhost.ca(ok vps's but too expensive and not really the right specs to host minecraft) and now found NFO. I have been with nfo for about a month or so and man I am loving the support,the servers and now I can finally be sure that no they arnt going under with my server and are not overselling and giving me a shared server that lags terribly.

Nfo is the place to be for me!
Snapps
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Snapps »

I was searching for a fast bf3 game server and i searched and read 100's of reviews, i found one that stood out from all the rest. some people were saying NFO was #1 in speed, reliability and customer service, i had to order right away! the old clan i was in uses a art of war server and every night mine is full and sadly theirs has 4-10 ppl. no brainer, you guys are awesome ! and everyone knows it.
DieselJC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by DieselJC »

I'm new here to NFO...but new to gaming...mostly I had always played Race Sims..rfactor/GTR2 etc etc..ever since picking up ARMA2 I am hooked...about 3 months ago I got fed up with servers that really didnt push that intrigal team play aspect of the game..and most servers were running pretty much the same maps...well I wanted something different. Some thing based on team play and communications.via ACE/ACRE..so I shopped around and rented a server from AOWC..well after receiving 1 month free because of all of the hassles with the server..constant downtime..no tech support or knowledge of the game itself..I decided to switch..asked in the Bohemia Forumns that designed ARMA series and numerous responses that NFO was the best...so here I am..less than 48hours after signing up my server is up and running smoothly...had 2 issues about constant running didnt want it restarted..(ARMA isnt a 2 or 3 hour battle..its a WAR wich can take days to complete a Map/Mission) and a couple of high cpu restarts wich I now have worked out. I am happy that I switched to NFO..and wouldnt go back or consider another server...so Thats My story..

JC
Kryptik
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Kryptik »

Well, I myself had no idea NFo even existed until late November 2011, when I was looking for a good server hosting website for my uncle. I stumbled upon this site and I didn't think much of it until recently, about January 12th, when I was informed that it is a great gaming community! I have ever since, been on the IRC and the support IRC to help others in the community and such. Also, the servers that you guys host? There beast. Almost no lag for any one.
ThatBum
A regular
A regular

Post by ThatBum »

Near the beginning of 2011, I got into the Garry's Mod SpaceBuild scene. There were about 30 or 40 servers for that gamemode. They were mostly alright, and I was even an admin on a few of them.
However, none of them felt quite right. Some had poor performance, had a lack of useful addons that work with the server, or had uncaring admins and/or a dismal community. In the words of Captain Picard, "You know...there really is no substitute for holding the reigns."

So, I decided to experiment with SRCDS on my machine, and got a bunch of guys I played with on other servers to join it. It was wonderful. The feeling of listening to user input and improving the server as if it was an evolving organism was amazing. I methodically installed addons and fixed bugs. We all had a great time.

However, we had a problem. Even though the machine I was running was powerful, the network connection was pathetic ADSL running on rotting, decades-old phone line, and everyone had horrendous latency. Further, I couldn't just leave that machine on 24/7 for use as a server, it was my household work and gaming machine, and I didn't have another machine available. I needed a host.

After asking around, I was directed to Xenon Servers. They were alright during the initial setup and testing stages, but when popularity eventually took off and the server was full, it started choking on us pretty badly. Oftentimes, the serverside FPS hit the single digits. There was no webspace mirror for sv_downloadurl. The control panel was very restricting and clunky. Questions to support about the specs of my machine or how many servers were on it were shot down as 'being over my head.' Their SVN updater kept inexplicably breaking. After a month of this, I'd had enough and cancelled the service. Disappointment all around.

Dejected and wondering if I was doing something wrong, I started playing on other servers again. Eventually, I came across a newly set up SpaceBuild server. I helped him set it up through Steam chat, and played for a while with him, the server being password'd for the durration. I noticed good performance and latency, so I asked him who the provider was. It was none other than NFo. Not knowing of NFo at the time, I was intrigued. I was impressed with the realtime web-based rcon, and the apparent speed of the creation time. We 'stress tested' the server together, and found it could take quite a lot of physics calculations before it started to slow down. My mind made up, I bade him farewell, and started off with a new purpose.

Upon buying the server (cheaper the Xenon's, I might add), I rounded up the old gang for a second shot. This time, everthing worked perfectly. The webspace allowed me to set up a wiki for tutorials about ingame building of spacecraft and such, and exposed me to webserver administration for the first time. After a month, we had many unique hits and some regulars, and a clan started to coalesce. The core group I started with were add admins, and mire were added in different timezones to keep an around-the-clock watch on the server. It was beautiful.

Which brings us to present day. It's ranked in the top 5 SpaceBuild servers. I've attracted coders, modelers, and mappers, so now my server ha unique content compare to others. According to the user play time database, there's been thousands of unique SteamIDs to enter the server. Many interesting contraptions have been created on the server, and will be for some time still. Our non-competitive clan, TurboNerd Team (+TNT+), is thriving, with a brotherhood and sense of camaraderie that I haven't felt anywhere else. Truly., it was a great decision to go with NFo.

I enjoy admining servers so much, I've added a Minecraft server to the TNT clan's selection (yes, bad name for a clan that plays Minecraft, but damnit, I'm sticking to it). I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but I will learn.

Thank you for your servers and your time, NFo. Keep on keepin' on.

(Holy crap that felt good to get out there.)
nofxpunk6
New to forums
New to forums

Post by nofxpunk6 »

Counter-Strike back in 2004 give or take. Part of a community back in the day called alladmin that had around 10-20 servers give or take at the time.
skinhead
New to forums
New to forums

Post by skinhead »

Until now my community was always taking big amounts of DDoS attacks when i say big its like big enough so that the all company where we were hosted was down. The thing that most takes attacks is our TS3 Server because it was 5th on gametracker now its not because we have a new ip of NFO of course. And let me say that until now nothing has shaken our server and there were attempts already of course :x I must say that NFOServers is maybe the best Game Server Provider that i have seen around and i was in many believe me :lol:
So thats it my little story :D
CloseTalker
New to forums
New to forums

Post by CloseTalker »

well they are reputable server provider i just kinda heard it through the grapevine. no real story i know
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

I really gotta look back here, I believe i was one of the earlier adopters... possibly 2001 or 2002. Meaning that would be Counter-Strike 1.1, or 1.3 not even certain of the time line anymore.

I joined up one of their servers they just leave open as advertising was thoroughly impressed at the fact that my ping (From Toledo, OH to Chicago, IL) was <20 ms (yeah that awesome, right?) And soon after wound up getting a server for me and my group of friends, I had an intermittent point where I used a competitor, regretted it, came back, and never looked back... guess that means I've been an NFO supporter since NFO started or damn near close to it. Best provider I've ever dealt with and amazing and rapid responses to support (on all facets). My best friend from middle school actually happened to be playing on that same server too, never actually met him before, but talked to him in the game, found out we had the same math teacher, and the same period in middle school. (Yeah I was employed in middle school).

I've gone as far as to move the company I work for now to an NFO Dedicated server due to the quality and price comparative to what we had before (they were going through GoDaddy servers who don't even offer hardware upgrades!). It's like spending $150/mo on an old Toyota, then going up by only about $80 and dealing with a Ferrari. We have quadruple the ram, 8-10 times the CPU power, and Solid State support for significantly faster reboots when necessary.

Granted that's not gaming, but it's a testament to the quality of service and product they provide, all members of the NFO support staff are very helpful and very very responsive. Even my boss (who is use to having phone numbers to call for support) was impressed by their responsiveness when we had a small issue shortly back.

So there ya go, NFO in my personal gaming life, and NFO in my professional life!
zco
New to forums
New to forums

Post by zco »

My story is quite simple, I got here because of a friend who adores NFO. Him and I both do not game, but just needed general webhosting. He designs websites for his personal business, so NFO gave him a good start to that. We'll see how things go (I'm forever a sceptic), but I have no doubt that this will be the best webhost I've ever had. I am very happy with my ping times and general network speed just to start out with, and I'm still in my trial! About 46 hours to go in the trial, but so far, I am pretty happy! :)
Why do you have to put your two cents in? It's only a penny for your thoughts. Where's that extra penny going to?
snivell
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by snivell »

I was looking for a cheap Garry's Mod hosts with a forum for help and I came across NFo. Best hosting I've ever used.
wihgaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by wihgaming »

I found NFO when I was researching TS3 providers. I ended up renting a TS3 with NFO and then saw that NFO also are pre-ordering BF4 servers. So I rented one of those too. So far, so good. I'm hoping for a good long relationship with NFO.