L4D2 Server Loading In Campaign Mode

SlamminIt
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

L4D2 Server Loading In Campaign Mode

Post by SlamminIt »

Hello Everyone!,
Since the steam and L4D2 update last night my server has been loading in campaign mode when trying to play Versus.
I have seen other NFO servers running after the updates.
I have sent tickets but no luck so far.Does anyone know of a way to manipulate the server through the FTP page to get it to start in Versus mode properly?

Any ideas would be appreciated!
xdemonessx
New to forums
New to forums

Re: L4D2 Server Loading In Campaign Mode

Post by xdemonessx »

Having the same problem. No rcon commands are going through.
xdemonessx
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xdemonessx »

edit your autoexec.cfg and make sure that its loading a vs map, theres some new "join steam group server" menu option under versus now and i believe its causing some conflicts. forcing it to start the server on versus mode seems to work, however you have to join the game through the versus menu option or you will get stuck in the lobby.

i blame valve.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You can load your starting map in versus mode by adding "versus" at the end of the "map" line in autoexec.cfg -- "map c5m1_waterfront versus", for instance. You might also try restricting the server to run exclusively in versus mode using the "sv_gametypes" cvar. We talk about these options in this post: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =49&t=4146
xdemonessx
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xdemonessx »

Edge100x wrote:You can load your starting map in versus mode by adding "versus" at the end of the "map" line in autoexec.cfg -- "map c5m1_waterfront versus", for instance. You might also try restricting the server to run exclusively in versus mode using the "sv_gametypes" cvar. We talk about these options in this post: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =49&t=4146
I put sv_gametypes "versus,teamversus,scavenge,teamscavenge" in my autoexec, and then the name of then map c5m1_waterfront versus and it will start it in versus mode, however i cant load into any other maps. If i leave versus out of the end of the map name, even with having gametypes in autoexec the game will still start in campaign. sv_gametypes versus is also in my server.cfg. It will always boot the game to the map in my autoexec if i try and load in from the lobby with a different map selected. While loading it will even show the right campaign poster. If i leave the mapline out it wont start the server at all. Everything else is default.

What am I doing wrong?
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

The last update totally screwed up servers.
Ours will only play the default startup map.
Changing to any other server causes the server to crash or shutdown.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

It seems that this is actually a game bug introduced by the last update. There may be a way to work around it, but it will ideally need to be fixed by Valve.
TimeX
vonschroeder
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vonschroeder »

A L4D 2 update was released today.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/9787/

Was this update rolled out to our servers?

On another note, has anyone found any information on what changes need to be made to L4D servers that run custom campaigns in light of the Steam Workshop integration? I assume I am going to need to replace all the custom campaigns with the workshop version and put them in the addons/workshop folder on the server to mirror their location on the client side and update the adddonlist.txt accordingly.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Today's L4D2 update was apparently client-side only, as on the server it only changed one file -- bin/crashhandler.dll.
vonschroeder
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vonschroeder »

That optional update that was applied appears to have fixed the problem reported in this thread where launching a lobby into the server would load the server's starting map rather than the map selected in the lobby. I launched several campaigns from the lobby into my server, including a custom campaign, and all loaded correctly.
vonschroeder
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vonschroeder »

I have not been successful yet attempting to get a Workshop acquired map running on my server. Here is what I have attempted so far.

I have been using Helms Deep Reborn for this trial run:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =121068229

When you subscribe to this map through the Steam Community it download the content and then appear to install it the next time you launch Left 4 Dead 2. The game creates an "\addons\workshop" folder and creates the filse 121068229.vpk and 121068229.jpg in that folder. If you attempt to manually move the VPK file from the "addons\workshop" folder and place it directly in the "addons" folder the next time you launch L4D2 the game recreates the VPK file in the "addons\workshop" folder and then you get an error in the game for have conflicting addons, since you now have a copy of the VPK in both the "addons" folder and the "addons\workshop" subfolder. So it appears like Workshop content must be in the "addons\workshop" folder in the L4D2 client.

The first thing I attempted when uploading the Helms Deep Reborn workshop version to my server was to mirror the client. I created a "workshop" folder within "addons" and uploaded the VPK and jpg files. I then updated the addonslist.txt accordingly with the line:

Code: Select all

"workshop\121068229.vpk"		"1"
This is how the workshop acquired addon appears in the addonlist.txt in the L4D2 client.

I then restarted the server and launched my L4D2 client. I attempted to launch a lobby into my server using the mm_dedicated_force_servers [IP:PORT] command, which is the usual way I force a lobby into my server. The lobby failed to launch into my server. I know this is usually the result of the server not properly advertising the custom content it has so I went and checked the addonlist.txt on the server to make sure I did not make a typo. To my surprise the line I had added was completely gone. I readded the line and restarted the server. I immediately check the addonlist.txt file again and that addition was now gone. So it appears that the server is overwriting that file on launch and populating the file with the VPK files in the "addons" directory.

To test this I copied the 121068229.vpk and 121068229.jpg files out of the "addons\workshop" folder and dropped them directly in the "addons" folder. I then restarted the server and sure enough the addonslist.txt was updated automatically with the new VPK file.

So I attempted again to launch into my server from a lobby using mm_dedicated_force_servers. This time I was connected to my server. The server automatically changed to the map "l4d2_helms_deep_serious_v17b" like it is supposed to. But when the map finished loading on my client I received the following error and was kicked from the server:
Server is enforcing consistency for this file:
addons/helms_dr17b.vpk
The VPK files are identical. I reuploaded the file just to make sure and tried again. The only difference between the files is the server version is directly in the "addons" folder while the client version is in the "addons\workshop" folder. If this is causing the inconsistency then we have somewhat of a catch-22. As I explained above the client requires workshop acquired addons to be in the "addons\workshop" folder and any attempt to manually move these files out of the "workshop" subfolder and directly into the "addons" folder causes the game to regenerate the files in the "workshop" subfolder the next time you launch the game.

The server on the other hand requires the VPK to be directly in the "addons" folder. The server would not recognize the addon when I placed it in a "workshop" subfolder. And any attempt to manually change the addonlist.txt to point to a VPK file in the "addons\workshop" is overwritten the next time the server restarts.

So my current dilemma is the client requires the workshop addon to be in the "workshop" subfolder but the server requires the addon to be directly in the "addons" folder. You then get a consistency error when you try to join a server with one of these addons because the files are in different folders.
vonschroeder
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vonschroeder »

vonschroeder wrote:So my current dilemma is the client requires the workshop addon to be in the "workshop" subfolder but the server requires the addon to be directly in the "addons" folder. You then get a consistency error when you try to join a server with one of these addons because the files are in different folders.
Setting

Code: Select all

sv_consistency 0
in the server.cfg fixes the issue for now. But I assume this also removes the failsafe to prevent players with the wrong version of an addon from connecting to the server and encountering numerous problems as a result. At least I am now able to get Workshop acquired addons running on the server now.
ggnfsforum000
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ggnfsforum000 »

Edge100x wrote:You can load your starting map in versus mode by adding "versus" at the end of the "map" line in autoexec.cfg -- "map c5m1_waterfront versus", for instance. You might also try restricting the server to run exclusively in versus mode using the "sv_gametypes" cvar. We talk about these options in this post: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =49&t=4146
i am also trying to configure my server for L4D not L4D2. Does it apply to L4D too? Well I tried putting versus behind my map name then it will start in the game not in lobby. Since at that the time game started I am the only one in the game and game will time out and will score.
I would like by default vs game start in the lobby. Is it possible?
I also tried using sv_gametypes cvar in hte autoexec.cfg but it seem to have no effect. THanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The post applies to both L4D and L4D2, yes.

Servers run maps at all times but the map is overridden (and a new one loaded) when a lobby joins.
ggnfsforum000
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ggnfsforum000 »

Edge100x wrote:The post applies to both L4D and L4D2, yes.

Servers run maps at all times but the map is overridden (and a new one loaded) when a lobby joins.

Edge can you explain bit more clearly like you are doing to complete newbies. I only got first sentence:). How do I start in lobby with versus set? ??