"Cannot create 3D device" (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) Error

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Dirk
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

"Cannot create 3D device" (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) Error

Post by Dirk »

Hello Ive been having issues with my vds. Everytime i try to start a game (in my case arma 2&arma 2 oa) it i get a error which is

Cannot create device
3D Adapter 0 (Microsoft Basic Render Driver) Fullscreen Resolution 1920x1080, format X8R8G8B8/S3B10G10R10/D24W8, Refresh
32 Hz
Error DeDDER_INVALIDCALL

On bistudio they say "Upgrade video card. Card with Shader Model 2 or higher is required to run ArmA.
Change the desktop resolution to be the same as the in-game resolution and then re-launch ArmA.
You may also try to update drivers of your graphics card."
But i dont understand how i would do that on the virtual server.

Thanks for your time people. :mrgreen:
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: "Cannot create 3D device" (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) Error

Post by kraze »

Virtual servers do not come with GPU's, so you'll be unable to run most games on your VDS.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Dirk
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dirk »

Yes I get they don't have a gpu but I was told that there was something wrong since my batch file wasn't working and he told me to run arma and then the error came up so he said that was my issue.

So i guess my batch file doesnt work right. It doesnt pop up the cmd prompt and do its thing it just comes on for a split second
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Dirk wrote:Yes I get they don't have a gpu but I was told that there was something wrong since my batch file wasn't working and he told me to run arma and then the error came up so he said that was my issue.
What are you trying to do on your VDS?
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Dirk
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dirk »

Im trying to host a arma 2 oa server with emita life on it. I had someone walk me through it all up to the point where the batch file is supposed to boot the server i guess
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

You should post the what you've done thus far to get the server to run and your .bat plus any log files that the server is generating. It should help us determine what's going on.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Dirk
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dirk »

I have put @CBA_CO @GG @inidb in the arma 2 oa dirrectory and put the GGLife.Emita.pbo in the mpmissions.

This is whats in my batch file

Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe -mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -port=2302 -profiles=@GG\profiles -config=@GG\life.cfg -mod=@inidb

than i also made a life.cfg file in @GG which has this in it

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "test life"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "firepro123"; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // For ArmA1 publicly list your server on GameSpy. Leave empty for private servers
//reportingIP = "arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // For ArmA2 publicly list your server on GameSpy. Leave empty for private servers
reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com"; // For Arma2: Operation Arrowhead
logFile = "server_console.log"; // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
""
};
motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {}; // Outdated.
maxPlayers = 72; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 1; // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 1; // Verifies .pbos against .bisign files. Valid values 0 (disabled), 1 (prefer v2 sigs but accept v1 too) and 2 (only v2 sigs are allowed).
equalModRequired = 0; // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.
//requiredBuild = 12345 // Require clients joining to have at least build 12345 of game, preventing obsolete clients to connect

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 0; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 30; // since 1.62.95417 supports range 1-20 //since 1.63.x will supports range 1-30 //8kHz is 0-10, 16kHz is 11-20, 32kHz is 21-30
persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.
timeStampFormat = "short"; // Set the timestamp format used on each report line in server-side RPT file. Possible values are "none" (default),"short","full".
BattlEye = 1; // Server to use BattlEye system

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = ""; //
onUserDisconnected = ""; //
doubleIdDetected = ""; //
//regularCheck = "{}"; // Server checks files from time to time by hashing them and comparing the hash to the hash values of the clients. Causes heavy I/O, uncomment to disable feature - READ WARNING ABOVE - makes cheating possible!

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData = ""; // unsigned data detected
onHackedData = ""; // tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions // An empty Missions class means there will be no mission rotation
{
class Takilife
{
template="GGLife.Emita";
difficulty="recruit";
};
};

Thats all I believe i have done
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

First: A mission that has a . in the filename before the pbo is a very bad idea, as this usually results in quite a few path errors.

I am almost sure that you are not loading the arma2oaserver.exe, but the arma2oa.exe, which is the client. The server application doesn't care, if you have a graphic card installed or not. You a re also using arbitrary path in your startup parameters.... And your are missing to load a valid server.cfg.

To check this the basic running of the server, please put the batch file in your Arma 2 OA root folder, where the arma2oaserver.exe is located. Modify the startup parameters to include the following line:

arma2oaserver.exe -cfg=YOUR_SERVER.CFG -config=YOUR_BASIC.CFG

After you checked if this worked and your server loaded successfully, expand the startup line from above with the following command: -mod=@GG;@inidb;

Depending if CG or the inidb add on require beta builds, you will also have to include those.