Game Server Help

HazCP
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Game Server Help

Post by HazCP »

At the moment, I'm runnin' with Vilayer. Their support is irregular and rather un-helpful; and for some reason my server crashes every day about twice.

I'm confused with VPS, and your normal gmod game servers. At the moment I run a TTT server, but I also want a DarkRP server and Deathrun. If I switched to NFO and bought a VPS package. Which package firstly? Secondly, how do you split them up into different servers. THirdly, are the gamemodes and stuff easy to install.

Cheers
HazCP
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Game Server Help

Post by kraze »

I'd recommend you stick with a managed VDS, that is offered under our three core systems and up. A managed VDS allows our system to do the dirty work of installing the server and setting it up to boot. You just need to configure it to your liking, most of this process is made easy by our custom control panel.

Game modes are extremely easy to install using the SVN tool built into the control panel.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
HazCP
New to forums
New to forums

Post by HazCP »

You don't offer it to the two core? The 3 core is just over my budget.. ;-;

HazCP
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Have you considered starting out with a single Garry's mod server from our shared system?
https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
HazCP
New to forums
New to forums

Post by HazCP »

To get a 20 slot server. It's $21.99.
To get a two core VPS which can host 1-6 servers it claims; is $29.99.
It just seems to expensive compared to the VPS

HazCP
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

HazCP wrote:To get a 20 slot server. It's $21.99.
To get a two core VPS which can host 1-6 servers it claims; is $29.99.
It just seems to expensive compared to the VPS

HazCP

Keep in mind VDS's aren't priced the same as game servers since they cover such a wide range. Those numbers are also estimates based on stock TF2 servers. Garry's mod servers aren't known for being vanilla and it's very likely you'll be adding a lot of customization's.

It's becoming more and more common for Garry's mod servers to use entire cores. So in your case depending on slots and configuration and machine type, you'd be looking at around 2 servers total.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
HazCP
New to forums
New to forums

Post by HazCP »

Idk, it's just too expensive at the moment. I know your servers are premium and whatnot but..
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

It is the hardware/network as well as the support. You can ask here for any help setting up/configuring your GMOD server on unmanaged machines. I would only expect 1-2 servers for the 2 core VDS. Servers like RP can take an entire core at 32/32. With proper configuration we could get that up to ~40 players per core for RP on a VDS.

NFO is not the cheapest host, but your players might appreciate a quality server over vilayer, which as far as I am concerned based on past experience, is the bottom of the bucket for GSPs.
Not a NFO employee
Abdul
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Abdul »

I used to be with Vilayer at some point - they were terrible when it came both to servers and support - never regretting moving away from them.

NFOServers is a choice you will not regret - they are a little more expensive than most hosts, but you get a lot more value out of your money - their managed servers are extremely optimized. Out of all the other hosting providers I have tried, none of them were truly a quality GSP as NFO.

I would recommend you go with the 3 core VDS - I currently have two 3 Core VDS' (different datacenters), both used to be a 2 core/unmanaged but I upgraded them in December, and I have never regretted the move. Their control panel will also notify you of whenever your server crashes along with the last 10,000 bytes of the console log before it crashed.

More importantly, I am sure you will agree that a large number of players in Garry's Mod have some sort of DDoS attack tools - I have been attacked bi-weekly, and they have never been able to lag my server for more than a few minutes, at which point NFO has already mitigated and blocked the attack.

Finally, think of it this way, if you are going to run 3 servers at 32 players each, that alone with most other hosting providers will cost you a lot more than what NFO's 3 core costs - the difference being you will get a lot more servers, optimization, support, convenience, protection and the list keeps on going, with NFO.
HazCP
New to forums
New to forums

Post by HazCP »

So if I bought a 2 core VDS, I could get three 20 slot servers? I won't be adding TOO many addons and extras for each one either
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

It is difficult to guess the performance of GMOD servers. We run our TTT server at 33 tick, and players do not notice. If you run 3 33 tick GMOD servers, you should be fine!
Not a NFO employee
HazCP
New to forums
New to forums

Post by HazCP »

You have persuaded me. Wow, this support is good; so quick.
In terms of payment, so I buy the two core, with 3 IP's or something? Also, will you set up the basic gamemodes for me?

HazCP, once again thanks so much soja.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If you want the game servers to run on the default srcds port, you would need 2 additional IPs(the vds comes with an IP by default). If you don't care about say running on port(s) 27016 and 27017, you dont need any extra IPs. The only downside, if people want to join your server through console they need to type in the port as well as the IP. Using a non-default port would not effect server browser connections.

I cannot guarantee that I can get you all set up, but I will help as best I can. NFO support can't really help much with unmanaged servers, but the community members here should be enough help to get you going.

You're welcome, remember also if this is your first service with NFO, you get a 2-day trial, and you will not be charged until your service has been active for 2 days. If you decide it is too difficult, or the performance isn't as expected, you can cancel and will not be charged.
Not a NFO employee