Questions before purchasing a GMod server

Vypereus
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Questions before purchasing a GMod server

Post by Vypereus »

So I've been thinking about buying a GMod server for my friends and I but I have a few questions.

First of all, I emailed the NFO support asking about changing gametypes/maps easily. I want to be able to switch between Sandbox, TTT, Prop Hunt, etc easily. Support responded with a message about using the SVN tools if the gamemode has an SVN, or using the FTP if it does not. That all basically sounds like gibberish to me, unfortunately. I don't really know how to run a server. Is the SVN tools process easy? How do I know if the gamemode has an SVN? etc, etc.

I'll be happy as long as I know how to do it, but I don't want to buy the server and then be completely lost when I try to add maps/gamemodes. I've had a difficult time finding tutorials and stuff as well, so I was hoping the forums could help.

Thanks!
Abdul
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: Questions before purchasing a GMod server

Post by Abdul »

Hey Vypereus,

I'm not familiar with SVN - but as for FTP, it is pretty much drag-and-drop. I use FileZilla as my FTP client - it's free.

There will be a maps folder, where you will drag your map files to. The same with a gamemodes folder, where you'll drag the gamemode you want to use into it. There's not much to it.

Once you purchase your server, you'll be able to seek support via your NFO Control Panel really quickly - otherwise, just drop by on the forums for more help.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Using the SVN tool, it's rather simple. If the gamemode or addon is available from an SVN repository, on our Easy Setup tab, there are only a few configurable options.

One, is the link to the SVN repository, then a drop box to select whether it is a gamemode or an addon, and then a folder name to be used. The system handles the rest.

Often install instructions for gamemodes will specify if they have a repository address, otherwise, you'll be provided with a compressed folder containing the gamemode files, which you can upload to your game server using FTP.

FTP is also simple. You can use a client, such as FileZilla, available here: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client and connect with the credentials provided on the File manager tab of your control panel. When connected, you'll see a Windows Explorer-type folder tree to let you navigate through your server. Gamemodes can be found in garrysmod/gamemodes, addons in garrysmod/addons, etc and you can then just drop files in from your own PC, using drag-and-drop, or using the second folder tree on the left side to navigate your system.
Fixer243
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Fixer243 »

Buying the server from NFOservers would be your best choice in my opinion for what you want to do. Changing the server gamemode is extremely easy as soon as you download the gamemodes into the server. If I where you I would go ahead and buy it and if you have any questions add me on steam, my username is Fixer243. Ill help you out, I use to own 6 servers from NFOservers but then I stopped getting donations to hold up the server. So if you need any assistance just add me on steam and Ill be glad to help you out with the best of my knowledge