Unmanaged to Managed

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Kronazo
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Unmanaged to Managed

Post by Kronazo »

So currently I have an unmanaged VPS and I have a few questions about the managed.
1. Do all the servers come with a mysql database?
2. I am currently running a 32 slot Teamspeak server and a webserver off the vps. Is there anyway I can keep running it without having to buy a separate Teamspeak/Web server?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Unmanaged to Managed

Post by Edge100x »

Managed VDSes do not come with a MySQL database unless you purchase the webhosting package, and there would be no way for you to keep the TS3 server IP address/port if you converted to a managed VDS. What I'd recommend that you do is to keep the existing VDS for those purposes but switch it into a basic, single-core Linux package, and purchase a separate managed VDS for your game server needs.
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

1) Unmanaged VDS servers don't come with a MySQL database, though all game servers do come with the starter web hosting plan which does have a MySQL database.
2) You can keep it running for as long as you want as long as it's on an unmanaged VDS. However, I don't think you'd be able to run a web server/TS server with a managed VDS, I'm pretty sure you're restricted to game server installs, but I may be completely wrong on that.

Seems John beat me to it. :|
Kronazo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Kronazo »

One more question then. I have the Teamspeak server and the webserver(using XAMPP) made for Windows. Is there a safe way to transfer them over to Linux without losing any content?
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

It'll be easy to transfer the web server without losing anything. For TeamSpeak, it'll just require moving the database and files over to the new TeamSpeak install on Linux, there's lots of tutorials online for that.
Kronazo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Kronazo »

Okay thank you
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Just want to clear this up for you.

Managing web server on windows is easy, but on Linux it can really hard. You can have tons of issues and you really have to know your distro to debunk them. Not saying don't go for Linux, but just be ready for some hard-work.
Kronazo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Kronazo »

If I move my current vps to a Single Core Linux will all the files transfer also?
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

If you're on Windows currently, which it looks like you are, then it'll require a wipe to re install the OS to Linux, so the files would be gone, you'd need to back those up since you are going to be doing a full OS re install in order to downgrade.
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

$atanic $pirit wrote:Just want to clear this up for you.

Managing web server on windows is easy, but on Linux it can really hard. You can have tons of issues and you really have to know your distro to debunk them. Not saying don't go for Linux, but just be ready for some hard-work.
Web servers tend to work better with Linux in every experience I've ever had/heard.

However, if one does choose to run a web server on a production server running a Windows OS, you should use packages directly from Apache/PHP/MySQL rather than using WAMP, XAMPP, AppServ, etc., as those tend to be very outdated and contain a plethora of security issues.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you're currently on Windows, and you aren't familiar with Linux, it might be best to stick with that. Linux works very well for webservers and MySQL, so you might consider experimenting with it in the future on a different VDS, but it would not likely be enjoyable to do that while your services are down!
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

rymax99 wrote:
$atanic $pirit wrote:Just want to clear this up for you.

Web servers tend to work better with Linux in every experience I've ever had/heard.

However, if one does choose to run a web server on a production server running a Windows OS, you should use packages directly from Apache/PHP/MySQL rather than using WAMP, XAMPP, AppServ, etc., as those tend to be very outdated and contain a plethora of security issues.
I never said it doesn't work well. In fact I host my LAMP stack on gentoo. What I'm trying to say is Linux won't be having a GUI and it will take some time to get a hold of it.