SRCDS VDS Wheezy

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

SRCDS VDS Wheezy

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Server files installed, server running, everything is executing as normal (besides autoexec.cfg, but this is easily fixed by adding those file commands to the command line...).

Running metamod 1.11.0 (dev version) which doesn't even load through normal .vdf means, so I'm loading it from the gameinfo.txt on the server (outdated method, but still seems to work fine), another server plugin though that I want running is tickrate_enabler, it has the appropriate .vdf in place just like metamod would be, if I had told it to load normally, but does not load (I've ran multiple windows servers with many different configs, so I can be sure the .vdf formatting is correct, but I can post here upon request, I used / and \ both tried for giving binary location, both failed loading exact same way). A sourcemod extension, l4downtown, also fails to load, upon trying to load it manually in-game with 'rcon sm exts load l4downtown', I get an error:

Code: Select all

[SM] Extension l4downtown.ext.so failed to load: /home/steamcmd/l4dserver/left4dead/addons/sourcemod/extensions/l4downtown.ext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Note: Metamod 1.11.0 might actually be able able to load NORMALLY and it's actually the .vdf formatting that is wrong, if this is the case, it explains why the tickrate enabler .vdf is also not running since it follows the same formatting. It does not give an excuse for l4downtown though, or another extension or two giving the exact same errors as l4downtown. It's also noteworthy to mention that all the normal sourcemod extensions are running, that I'd downloaded from the steam servers, but the extensions I added in myself, from my Windows computer over to the Linux computer through Gnome and Dropbox, also do not load, in the exact same way l4downtown does not.

In fact, I will post .vdf formatting here: (tickrate_enabler.vdf, location of binary is: "addons/tickrate_enabler/bin/tickrate_enabler.so")

"Plugin"
{
    "file" "addons\tickrate_enabler\bin\tickrate_enabler.so"
}
Also tried, same results:

"Plugin"
{
    "file" "addons/tickrate_enabler/bin/tickrate_enabler.so"
}
I know Windows and Linux can be anal about those discrepancies, but I should also mention that I've had VERY troubling .vdf formatting issues before preventing things from running, so I wouldn't be hesitant if I were you to look over it character for character.

Thanks for any assistance. :]
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: SRCDS VDS Wheezy

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Ticrate enabler has some issues on linux. It no longer works, as I have tried to run it on my server and failed. I don't know why your server won't pickup MM. Also try to run l4dtoolz instead and see if that works or you get same result. Although I think error is in server's core files due to MM issue you mentioned.

Did you try to update your server? I know silly question, but try that. I run my server on gentoo and didn't have any issues, but debian shouldn't be a problem.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

You are in fact using the wrong formatting for your VDF's.

This is the contents of the VDF I use for one of my CS:S servers running MM:S and tickrate enabler.

metamod.vdf:

"Plugin"
{
	"file"	"addons/metamod/bin/server"
}
tickrate_enabler.vdf:

"Plugin"
{
	"file"  "addons/Tickrate_Enabler"
}
my metamod bins are located in

addons/metamod/bin/server.so
my tickrate_enabler bins are located in

addons/Tickrate_Enabler.so
Hopefully this clears up how vdf's are used, I am pretty sure the method doesn't change for l4d.

Also, tickrate enabler is very much working right now, I use it for my CS:S servers right now(100-tick).

It is also worth noting that it is absolutely pointless to raise the tickrate of a l4d 1/2 server, as the game limits the value of "rate" to 30k, and cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 30 or 33 if I remember correctly.

The vdf generator for MM:S is a great tool to make VDF's. http://sourcemm.net/vdf
Not a NFO employee
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

$atanic $pirit wrote:Ticrate enabler has some issues on linux. It no longer works, as I have tried to run it on my server and failed. I don't know why your server won't pickup MM. Also try to run l4dtoolz instead and see if that works or you get same result. Although I think error is in server's core files due to MM issue you mentioned.

Did you try to update your server? I know silly question, but try that. I run my server on gentoo and didn't have any issues, but debian shouldn't be a problem.
It picks up MM now that the .vdf formatting is correct, although adding .so or .dll to the ends doesn't matter, it loads the file regardless. Was using the TF2 tickrate enabler, now the l4d version, both result in same error, using the outdated server files to test if it works. No reason to update server, if you just installed it.

What version of the tickrate enabler, and since when has it not worked?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I was using .3 I think, .4 did not work.
Not a NFO employee
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

soja wrote:I was using .3 I think, .4 did not work.
I don't understand, I thought the version went to .4 also, but on ProdigySim's bitbucket page the versions only go up to .4 ... I'm trying it with .3 though.

Update: Using outdated server version files results in errors out the ass (as it does on Windows, but on Windows, at least it still runs), on Linux, it doesn't allow the server to start. Tried running old server files with new command line command -nowatchdog to see if it prevents the server from restarting from any errors automatically, perhaps I can get it to start, even if barely functional.

Update: Same issue

Checking SM logs to see why certain extensions aren't loading.

[SM] Unable to load extension "updater.ext": *location omitted*/left4dead/addons/sourcemod/extensions/updater.ext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[SM] Unable to load extension "left4downtown.ext": *location omitted*/left4dead/addons/sourcemod/extensions/left4downtown.ext.so: undefined symbol: g_pMemAlloc
For the first error: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... stallation seems to list this, I did as instructed, installed it, started server up with terminal, same issue.

For the second error: I can see the extension name is 'left4downtown.ext', starting up new server files and attempting to manually load by 'rcon sm exts load left4downtown.ext' - Reporting: the same errors posted above. Also, I've found a post from powerlord regarding the UPDATED server version that gives this error: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost. ... stcount=17, which can be why it's not loading, that is fine, I'll just have to use the OLDER files then.

Now, for the major console errors when starting up the server (old version).

failed to dlopen *location omitted*/left4dead/bin/matchmaking_ds.so error=*location omitted*/left4dead/bin/matchmaking_ds.so: undefined symbol: _Z17GetCPUInformationv
Nothing online about that, no idea what I could do about it.

Next thing is next, using someone's random supposedly 'fixed' version of bin files for the updated install of the l4d server. Testing now. Executing prevents the server from starting and gives out something similar to left4downtown + mactchmaking_ds combined.

failed to dlopen *location omitted*/left4dead/bin/matchmaking_ds.so: undefined symbol: g_pMemAlloc
Any assistance appreciated... lol
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I use the plugins from here:
http://didrole.com/tickrate_enabler/
Not a NFO employee
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

soja wrote:I use the plugins from here:
http://didrole.com/tickrate_enabler/
You are also running CSS, I'm running the plugin made specifically for l4d. Considering the size differences are over 33% apart, I doubt they're interchangeable, regardless, same error on that one, just doesn't load.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

My solution is to use the new server files and request that someone (most probably the creator of the tickrate plugin, prodigysim) recompile the source code against the new version of the l4d SDK, as per powerlord's suggestion. This should allow the tickrate enabler to work correctly on linux with the new l4d server version, as everything else already works correctly.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Why would you wanna raise tickrate in first place? I have played with tickrate enabled servers and normal ones. There is no difference between them, a recompile of kernel gave me better performance, but tickrate hardly made any change for me. Also Soja already stated that game rates are locked to accommodate 30 fps. I have tried to raise them from both client and server side. Result was some high mouse sensitivity and some other minor glitches.

You are welcomed to try, but to me raising the tickrate makes no difference.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

soja wrote:It is also worth noting that it is absolutely pointless to raise the tickrate of a l4d 1/2 server, as the game limits the value of "rate" to 30k, and cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 30 or 33 if I remember correctly.
Replying because it seems since satanic spirit brought it up again, that it appears I have no choice but to address it. The issue of limited rate was fixed, about 4 or 5 years ago. The cmdr and updr are capped to 60.
$atanic $pirit wrote:Why would you wanna raise tickrate in first place? I have played with tickrate enabled servers and normal ones. There is no difference between them, a recompile of kernel gave me better performance, but tickrate hardly made any change for me. Also Soja already stated that game rates are locked to accommodate 30 fps. I have tried to raise them from both client and server side. Result was some high mouse sensitivity and some other minor glitches.

You are welcomed to try, but to me raising the tickrate makes no difference.
Anyone who has played the game for more than 50 hours (I don't know if you have or not) or has played competitively will laugh at the concept of 30 tick gameplay. With godframes taking up a certain amount of frames, less time for each frame means less time during godframes overall, resulting in more chances to hit your target (hunters wallkicking, starting or landing pounces, getting up from being pounced, your pull being canceled, etc). There is such a dramatic difference between them, the differences are undeniable. 30 fps on servers is easily uncapped. Mouse sensitivity has nothing to do with server tickrate or how many connections your computer sends over the internet through a client. Any minor glitches are well worth the time and effort for higher tickrate, anyone who plays versus prefers higher tickrate, but it might not be that big of a deal on coop.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Actually, mind me asking how you improved the kernel? What, exactly, did you do? Aren't all #ms timers the same? I'd absolutely love one that wasn't 'just 1000hz', which is a random 700-900, but more of a more stable 600-650, or something like 990.1 perfect, like I've been able to do extremely stable before on a Windows server (stable meaning 990.1, and every 3-4 seconds dropping down to 980, then back up again, tickrate 66). Albiet I was using NFO's gameservers for the server hosting as opposed to VDS, but it essentially SHOULD be possible on a Linux VDS.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

It's all just a matter of opinion. I don't question how much you know and expect the same. I just gave you my point of view, and if that doesn't do it for you then feel free to do what you think fit.

Oh, if rates were addressed long time ago, as you speak 4-5 years which means 2009 or 2010. Game was released November 17, 2009, if I'm not wrong, so you saying issue never existed. Weird I never notices that.

As for the kernel, I was referring to changing sources of kernel, rather than changing timer.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

l4d1, not 2, and it says on the forum post for the enabler itself that it fixes the limits simply by installing it. Will look into kernel sources.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Wait! was this all about l4d 1? My bad I answered everything by keeping l4d2 in mind.

My apologies, if I caused any confusion.