TF2 FastDL

Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

TF2 FastDL

Post by Chdata »

--Note: I'm pretty nooby with website hosting stuff but I am a Sourcepawn coder and have done TF2 modding/server operating before.

So I used to run some TF2 servers on the 2-core VPS nfo plan for about $30 a month.

The problem is, I had no clue how to transfer my website which I bought the domain from myhosting.com to use the nfo VPS for fastDL, or however that goes.

Beforehand, I had a separate and cheaper VPS from myhosting that was for the website, and I pointed my nfo TF2 servers fasDL to the site hosted by myhosting, but I canceled the myhosting subscription as I wanted to move over to NFO and never really figured out how I could even transfer my domain to a new VPS.

Eventually my myhosting VPS ended, and my TF2 servers thus lacked FastDL. Eventually after that, I also had to end my NFO subscription anyway because of college.

Some day I hope to reopen my servers, with NFO, and hopefully someone can understand my dilemna well enough to offer some advice. (Cause I really dunno what I'm talking about when it has to do with website hosting).
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: TF2 FastDL

Post by soja »

The easiest way would be to rent $3 web hosting here at NFO, it rns on the Internap network, and is very cheap for the features you get.

If you are determined to run your website alongside your game servers(not recommended--performance reasons), you would need to find someone to host DNS for you(check with myhosting to see if they offer this service to their domain customers), and then use their DNS servers to point the domain to your VDS. On your VDS you would need to install apache, and add anything extra if you wanted to run a real website, such as MySQL/PHP etc.

If you are new to web hosting, the entry level web hosting package here is a GREAT option! NFO will host DNS for you if you purchase web hosting here.
Not a NFO employee
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chdata »

TBH I'm not all that interested in getting a website yet and only need it for the fastDL really.

Though, if I ever end up with a sustained community, perhaps my own forum would be desirable.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

In that case, I would strongly recommend the entry web hosting plan here. It will allow you to expand from just fastdl to hosting forums etc without needing to learn how to install/configure/compile apache/php/etc. In addition, when you start using stuff like php/mysql on your game server VDS, it can have very negative impacts on performance.

We use NFO's $8/m plan here, and use over 5TB of bandwidth per month for fastdl.
Not a NFO employee
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chdata »

Couldn't I just put the fastDL files on the vps I'm running the server on, and attach the domain to that VPS if that's all I'm using the site for?
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

You could. And you would not have to attach the domain name to it. Just use your IP in the confg file instead of the domain name. However you should realize too that you could essentially cause lag for your server, if there are alot of people downloading resources all at once. You will also most likely blow thru your allotted bandwidth pretty quick and incur a bandwidth fee.
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chdata »

I've got my game servers set up (through VPS service, not the gameserver service that comes with free webhosting).

I'm going to purchase webhosting seperately and set it up, but I have some questions.

Does it count as a new server, or change to the VPS I already have?

Should I give it a unique server identifier, or the same as my VPS?
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Your web hosting plan is a separate plan than your VDS. Basically you are renting 2 isolated packages.

It will be a completely separate order, with its own identifier and own Name Servers.
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chdata »

Hiya, I set my subdomain to

tf2data.site.nfoservers.com

And uploaded fastdl files via FileZilla.

tf2data.site.nfoservers.com/rules

for example, is 404.

tf2data.site.nofoservers.com doesn't show my index.html

My custom 404 page doesn't work either.

The only thing I really have an issue with though:

sv_downloadurl "http://tf2data.site.nfoservers.com/tf/vsh"

I deleted a map and set my server to that map, but it wouldn't download it for me, saying the map is missing (which is an error that occurs when the map doesn't exist within the fastdl link).

How do I set this up properly?
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chdata »

I'm not seeing an edit button, so I'll add this:

tf2datafastdl.site.nfoservers.com

Simply says 'This webpage not available'.

No 404 or 403.

tf2data.site.nfoservers.com

is a 403, but also says "Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Edit: Somehow this second post did have an edit option... lol.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

NFO forums allow edits for a few minutes after the post.

Your public files need to be placed in the "public" folder.

For example http://tf2datafastdl.site.nfoservers.com/rules/
the rules folder needs to be placed in public.
Not a NFO employee
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chdata »

Hiya, I moved everything to public/, and after 10 minutes it's still not showing up with either the tf2data or tf2datafastdl subdomains.

I refresh in my browser via Ctrl+F5, fastdl not working still.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Can you screenshot your domains tab in your control panel?
Not a NFO employee
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chdata »

Issue was resolved in PM.