VDS or DS? Keep or Upgrade?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Baron
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VDS or DS? Keep or Upgrade?

Post by Baron »

Should I keep my current VDS or upgrade to a DS? Is it worth upgrading? Will I see any increase in performance?

Current VDS:
Unmanaged & Windows 2008 R2
Intel E5 2690v2 3.0GHz
6 CPU Cores
12GBs of RAM
600GB HDD
8 IPs
12TBs of Bandwidth
$119/month

DS I Want:
Managed Windows Dedicated server
E3-1270: Solid Sandy Bridge-based machine
•Intel Xeon E3-1270 processor (four physical 3.4ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo->3.8ghz)
•16 GB DDR3-1333 ECC memory
•1000 GB, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
•15000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth
•Able to host around 250-300 connected players at once
$170/month + $50
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: VDS or DS? Keep or Upgrade?

Post by soja »

What kind of servers are you running?

The primary benefit of a dedi over a VDS is the single core performance. If you have a lot of smaller game servers(such as 20-30 slot), then the VDS would probably better suit you. If you want to run 64 slot or higher servers the dedi would be the better choice. In addition with unmanaged, there is no penalty if you brick the OS on a VDS, you can tinker to your hearts content. On a dedi, if you lock yourself or NFO out somehow, NFO has to hire remote hands to fix the machine, which is very expensive.

Personally, I highly prefer dedicated servers over VDS's here. I use managed for all of my dedis. I run large servers that require single core performance, and I have observed a significant performance boost per core for my server types.
Not a NFO employee
Baron
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Baron »

I run about 7 gmod servers and a TS server.

That zombie escape server in your signature? You own it? If so what kind of server does that run on to have 64 players and be stable?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Baron wrote:I run about 7 gmod servers and a TS server.

That zombie escape server in your signature? You own it? If so what kind of server does that run on to have 64 players and be stable?
It still isn't completely stable, we regularly have FPS dips to the 30-40 range during high action times. For the most part it is running peak performance.

That server in my sig is running on the E3-1270v3 from NFO. Our 1270v3 peaks at 55% load daily, which is perfect for us.

My original statement stands, if you want very large servers, a dedi would be a good option.
Not a NFO employee
Baron
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Baron »

okay, I bought it and will try it out.