Possible to get CPU speed increase on VPS?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
The Gamer Guy
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Possible to get CPU speed increase on VPS?

Post by The Gamer Guy »

I currently have a 45 slot Garrys Mod server running on my VPS, when it gets to about 35 players it starts to get a bit choppy, but its not to bad. Although spammers can easily crash the server when its this full with just a few props. So I was wondering if it is possible to get a step up from the 2.9 GHz CPU the VPS has by default. Just thought id ask. Also, 2.9 GHz seems a tad bit low in my opinion(Correct me if im wrong on that).
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Possible to get CPU speed increase on VPS?

Post by soja »

Probably the only upgrade available would be up to 3.0Ghz. At 2.9Ghz you are most likely on an E5-2690 CPU, which is a fast CPU. The 3.0Ghz CPU would be the E5-2690v2.

Garry's mod eats up a TON of CPU. Have you already lowered your tickrate? If you're running something like RP you should be at 33 tick or lower.
Not a NFO employee
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

Your proccesing speed wont affect your performance in gmod, its most likely your tickrate like Soja said. Also VPS aren't really meant for big gmod servers, i personally would not recommend going over 32 players on a single server on a VPS. If you plan on having 40 players i would get a dedicated machine, or just run it off NFO's shared machines.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I have helped people run butter smooth 45-50 slot GMOD RP servers on managed/unmanaged VDS's here before. You just need to tweak it a bit.
Not a NFO employee
The Gamer Guy
New to forums
New to forums

Post by The Gamer Guy »

I have the tickrate set to 33, its been this way ever since I started. Im not going to bother getting an upgrade for an extra 100 Mhz. I guess i'll see what else I can do to make things smoother. Im already gathering up a list of mods to uninstall, so that's a start. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Are you on unmanaged or managed? What is the CPU usage like for your server process when you notice the lag? Keep in mind RP can function fine all the way down to 16 tick. I would recommend it, the lowest I would go is 22.
Not a NFO employee
The Gamer Guy
New to forums
New to forums

Post by The Gamer Guy »

Ah, sorry for long reply time, I've been busy. I'm on unmanaged, and the CPU usage is around 27-30% when it starts lagging. I'll give 22 tick a try and see if that clears things up.