DL speeds to Steam servers (Frankfurt, DE)

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
abyssis
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

DL speeds to Steam servers (Frankfurt, DE)

Post by abyssis »

Hello,

anyone else experiencing ridiculously slow DL speeds using NFO's Frankfurt location towards Steam servers? Downloading a TF2 server can take up to an hour if not more, which is basically the biggest problem here. It barely takes 5 minutes (often less) with majority of other providers.

I've tried to mess around with the rmem_max, wmem_max, tcp_rmem and tcp_wmem values, but no luck whatsoever.

I wouldn't consider this a one-time "issue" since it's been this way for a longer period of time now (~6 months). Anyone else experiencing the same issue using their Frankfurt location?

Best regards,

abyssis
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: DL speeds to Steam servers (Frankfurt, DE)

Post by theRadAleks »

You should contact NFO if your server is performing bad.
abyssis
New to forums
New to forums

Post by abyssis »

theRadAleks wrote:You should contact NFO if your server is performing bad.
The server performance is outstanding, it's the network performance that's bothering me.

I've actually tried to contact them before regarding Frankfurt's network performance couple months back, but I gave up on it since it didn't really matter at the time. I also didn't know what type of information would help them troubleshoot this issue.

rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

FYI, Steam does throttle downloads, especially at peak times.

I've ran into this issue with downloading server files to client game downloads and across multiple connections.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Are you doing these downloads via the Steam client or SteamCMD? If SteamCMD, have you tried opening Steam and seeing if the slow speeds persist there?

I'm also a bit unsure how SteamCMD picks which content server to use. It may automatically pick the closet one or may fallback to whatever said SteamCMD user has set in their Steam client.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Are you using google DNS? If you are, try using a DNS closer to your actual server location.

Steam uses multiple CDN providers, and since the introduction of steamcmd and steampipe, downloads are parallel, meaning they come from multiple servers at once. I personally have never seen an issue with speeds since they made this change.
Not a NFO employee
abyssis
New to forums
New to forums

Post by abyssis »

kraze wrote:Are you doing these downloads via the Steam client or SteamCMD? If SteamCMD, have you tried opening Steam and seeing if the slow speeds persist there?

I'm also a bit unsure how SteamCMD picks which content server to use. It may automatically pick the closet one or may fallback to whatever said SteamCMD user has set in their Steam client.
I'm on Wheezy so everything is done through a command line using SteamCMD. Is there any way to set up which content server to use via command line (eg. configs)?
soja wrote:Are you using google DNS? If you are, try using a DNS closer to your actual server location.

Steam uses multiple CDN providers, and since the introduction of steamcmd and steampipe, downloads are parallel, meaning they come from multiple servers at once. I personally have never seen an issue with speeds since they made this change.
Switched from Google's DNS (avg 11 ms) to OpenDNS (avg 0.67 ms), but there is barely any difference in terms of DL speeds.
rd1981
A regular
A regular

Post by rd1981 »

I dont have any problems with it but I use linux on ubuntu 14.04.