websync and/or fast download

hydrozilla
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

websync and/or fast download

Post by hydrozilla »

I have been trying to sync up some sound files for faster downloading. We are using source mod pluggin admin sounds version 1.2.2. I have it working just fine with about 20 small wav and mp3 files. A normal install of this pluggin involves creating a cstrike/sound folder. This has been done and everything works fine.
I now wish to speed up new clients download and tried the websync. It does not find the sound folder or its contents. After much study of knowledge base I tried moving the folder to cstrike/custom, but to no avail. I then tried a custom map placed in cstrike/custom, still websync did not find it. I finally created a cstrike/custom/my_custom_stuff/maps folder and placed the map file in there. Clicked websync and it found it, compressed it and placed it in our websites "server" directory. The game did not call for this map as we have never loaded it. It just knew it was new custom content and compressed and moved it.
I am unable to do this with a sound or materials folder. I have tried a dozen different things and my only conclusion is that fastdownload and websync are for bsp files only?
I had hopes of usin fastdownloads for sounds and map decals, possibly some admin skins. What file types does websync recognize?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: websync and/or fast download

Post by soja »

You could always manually place sounds or other files on the web server. It isn't as easy as 1 button, but it still works.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The cstrike/custom/my_custom_stuff/ structure would apply to everything that needed to be synced. You may be getting the folder names mixed up though. "sounds" isn't valid. "sound" is though.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
hydrozilla
New to forums
New to forums

Post by hydrozilla »

Actually got it workin now.
I had dropped them in the webserver via ftp, but as it turns out with AdminSounds pluggin they have to be in the fastdownload server and also in cstrike for the pluggin to work. So I re-installed them into cstrike and it works fine. The download time has dropped from 45 seconds to 5 seconds.
Thanks soja and kraze for your replies.
hydrozilla
New to forums
New to forums

Post by hydrozilla »

Ive added some nice admin and donator skins, some custom map decals and almost 30 wavs for admin sounds.
I usually go into my gamin rigs cstrike and delete all the custom stuff from ctrike/download and then join our server to see how long a new client would have to wait to download all the files. I just did this and added up all the content and its about 13.6 MB.
Most of this are the kirby admin skins which are huge files but sweeeet. Im downloadin all of it in about 30 seconds. Im considering compressing all the content into bz2 format. All the files are in the fastdownload side of the webserver and as I mentioned above websync only finds the bsp's. Ive read a couple of tutorials but most of them are reffering to map bsp's. Will this work for the skins and wavs? Anyone got a link for bzip shareware? thanks in advance
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

websync should automatically compress any custom files into bzip2 format.

I use this tool to bzip2 files for my servers: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm

If you click the binaries link, after you extract everything, just drag any files on top of bzip2.exe and it will replace the files with the compressed versions.

There are tools out there that can do this easier, but this is the tool I use.

Any custom file can be bzipped, sounds, maps, textures/models, etc.
Not a NFO employee
hydrozilla
New to forums
New to forums

Post by hydrozilla »

Thanks for the help and the link. I just got done with it all. The tool worked just as it should.