Laggy maps?

Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Laggy maps?

Post by Cain »

Have they finally fixed all the maps such that none are laggy, including All OF THE ORIGINAL MAPS??
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Laggy maps?

Post by barhund »

They have improved upon them, but not entirely fixed. Our server (that is hosted on a VM) still starts to rubberband on certain maps after it's been full for about 8-12 hours. We are currently running a 44 slot.
Cain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Cain »

Thank you!!

Which maps rubberband??
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

On Conquest Small we typically only see it on Hainan Resort, and Paracel Storm. On Conquest Large you can add pretty much any map with big lakes or bodies of water on it. Although for some reason Siege of Shanghai doesn't seem to cause issues even though it has a lot of water and a big levolution.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

barhund, what CPU is your VDS on?
Not a NFO employee
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

E5-2690v2
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Do you see 100+% CPU usage when you server starts to rubber band?
Not a NFO employee
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

On the 1 core that is running BF4 yeah it totally maxes the thread and then the rubberbanding starts. For the whole VDS we rarely go above 30% (total of the 4 cores) even with the L4D2 Server rolling.

If DICE/EA would join the rest of the universe in 21st century and learn how to multithread their server programs it would be fine.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

The problem in your case is the single threaded performance for the VDS though. In my observations the 2690v2 is over 40% slower than a 1270v3 core for Battlefield servers.

Here is a screenshot of one of my Battleifled 3 servers "Server Usage" tab.

On the left you see the CPU usage while we were on an 8-core 2690v2 VDS that hovered around 50% overall CPU usage. The right is after we moved the game server to an E3-1270v3 dedicated machine. As you can see on the left on the VDS the CPU usage capped out at 104%, and there was terrible lag and rubber banding when we hit that usage.

After moving to the dedi(you can see when we moved on monday morning with the gap in the graph) we saw a maximum of 60% CPU usage(on 1 core) and no more lag.

I know a lot of people have had issues with these maps, not just VDS users. In your case however, I would suspect the issues you are seeing is from not enough single threaded performance.

Also, there aren't many game servers that are multithreaded, and non-virtualized CPUs can still run 64 player battlefield servers flawlessly.

EDIT: If the option is available for BF4, have you tried enabling multi-core support in the control panel? From what I remember it may raise overall VDS CPU, but it can provide better performance if you are running into single threaded performance issues.
Not a NFO employee
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

We were really considering going to a full machine especially if nfo is going to offer battlefront and evolved on the managed machines. We will see though.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

Anyone running bf4 servers on just a e3-1270 that can give an idea a about expected perforfmance?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

E3-1270 will run BF4 just fine, as with most machines. It's really only when you are virtualizing them at you start seeing issues.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

We did try the multithreading option. It literally does nothing but raise the cpu usage within the one thread by 3-5%. Even with it enabled it will only use 1 thread, and somehow manage to cause more overhead.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

barhund wrote:We did try the multithreading option. It literally does nothing but raise the cpu usage within the one thread by 3-5%. Even with it enabled it will only use 1 thread, and somehow manage to cause more overhead.
In our testing it doesn't appear to really help on faster machines.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Keep in mind the graph is showing the process usage, which can have multiple threads. Enabling multithreading is probably spreading the load out on other threads, which is why you would see the slightly higher process CPU usage.
Not a NFO employee