CPU usage

xancara
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

CPU usage

Post by xancara »

So, I have been having quite a bit of issues with my servers as of late. I have been peaking out >98% CPU usage. I am not running that many plugins (list below). I have tried to disable many plugins and run the server with as few as possible but it continues to happen. Once my CPU usage reaches about 35%, the GameME mod stops working in game. It starts giving an error stating "No GameME! Live address assigned"

I am trying to figure out if it is something to do with the most recent CSGO update or if it is purely SM related.

Any ideas anyone?

Code: Select all

[SM] Listing 30 plugins:
01 "SQL Admins (Prefetch)" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
02 "SQL Admins (Threaded)" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
03 "Admin Help" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
04 "Admin Menu" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
05 "Advertisements" (0.6) by Tsunami
06 "Anti-Flood" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
07 "Basic Chat" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
08 "Basic Comm Control" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
09 "Basic Commands" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
10 "Basic Info Triggers" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
11 "Basic Votes" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
12 "Client Preferences" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
13 "Fun Commands" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
14 "Fun Votes" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
15 "gameME Plugin" (4.4.2) by TTS Oetzel & Goerz GmbH
16 "Give Weapon" (1.0) by Kiske
17 "Radar and loading screen downloader" (1.0.0) by Mad
18 "MapChooser" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
19 "Nextmap" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
20 "NotifyMOTD" (0.2.3) by Wilczek, Maxximou5, KaOs, Bacardi
21 "Pinion Adverts" (1.12.29) by Multiple contributors
22 "Player Commands" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
23 "Reserved Slots" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
24 "Rock The Vote" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
25 "Sound Commands" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
26 "SourceBans" (1.4.10) by SourceBans Development Team
27 "SQL Admin Manager" (1.6.3-dev+4601) by AlliedModders LLC
28 "Team Bets" (2.6.1) by GrimReaper - Original by ferret
29 "Updater" (1.2.1) by GoD-Tony
30 "Zeus Round" (0.0.2.4) by TnTSCS aka ClarkKent
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: CPU usage

Post by soja »

Slot count?

Tickrate?

CPU Model?

Population?

VDS or dedi?

Managed or unmanaged?

OS?
Not a NFO employee
xancara
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xancara »

NFO VDS 4 Core - NFo Managed Windows - 20 slot - Full after 6 PM most nights - 128 Tick
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

What is the CPU model? This can be found on the "Server Health" tab on a game server on the managed VDS.

Even on NFOs fastest VDS CPUs, you are probably seeing a lack of CPU power.

You can disable the automatic restart for a server using over 98% on the managed tab in the control panel. CS:GO often uses 100-140% of a core if it needs to.

Can you post a screenshot of the 2 graphs on the "Server Usage" tab for the server that is being automatically restarted?
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I wouldn't necessarily say a lack of CPU power as our VDS's are some of the fastest you'll be able to find on the market. 128 tick CSGO servers are extremely demanding and it's not uncommon for additional plugins to increase the server side usage.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I agree they are some of the fastest, but in certain loads, especially ones that require a very fast core, they aren't up to the task.

128 tick CS:GO is very demanding, and if he is on anything other than the 2690v2 or similar CPU, he could be seeing issues with as little as 20 players. I have seen a CS:GO server here choke at 100 tick ~30 players on a 2690v2 VDS, while my 1270 v1/v3+ run it at 40-50% core load.

Especially since he is running into issues with the automatic CPU usage restarts, leads me to believe it is a lack of CPU power.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

While you are correct it's important not to word it that way as it's implying there are faster options out there when there really isn't, unless you move to bare hardware(as you compared it against, which isn't apples to apples).

xancara, if you disable all of your plugins temporarily do you continue to see issues? Also when you say 35% are you referring to the entire VDS or that specific game server?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

kraze wrote:While you are correct it's important not to word it that way as it's implying there are faster options out there when there really isn't, unless you move to bare hardware(as you compared it against, which isn't apples to apples).

xancara, if you disable all of your plugins temporarily do you continue to see issues? Also when you say 35% are you referring to the entire VDS or that specific game server?
You are right, I didn't mean to imply there are faster options, my apologies.
Not a NFO employee
xancara
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xancara »

4 cores of a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge-E 2.9ghz) - From Server health

@ Kraze - This problem didn't really start appearing until the end of October, beginning of November. It is per Server that I am getting the massive usage spike. The VDS seems to be staying around 20%-25% with just this server running (which is about right for the 4 core if I am peaking at over 100% of one core). The reason it concerns me, I didn't change anything about the server when this started happening. It has been 128 tick for a long time, same plugins, same configuration.

I recently have redone all of my plugins, configurations and wiped the server since this was originally a server from CSGO beta and had several issues stemming from older config versions and lingering files that are no longer used. I figured that maybe some of those old files could be getting caught up and causing some of the issues (probably not all of them but I assumed it would be an improvement).

@soja, the really strange thing is that the restarts don't come at a time where my server is full. There not much of a rhyme or reason that I can pin point the cause. Sometimes the restart comes at 2 PM EST(11 AM PST), nobody on the server, restart happened at 3 AM EST(12 Midnight PST). But this was the case with and without sourceMod installed.

Here is my Status panel you asked for
Snip of Server Usage
Snip of Server Usage

Also, I wanted to clarify, I am not really upset at the fact that this is happening. Just curious as to why. If one my plugins needs to be rewritten or better maintained, I will work on fixing the code if the plugin is no longer being maintained by AlliedModders. I know that one of my plugins has a bug right now, but it is not a bug that memory leaks or uses a ton of extra CPU (adds $1 at start of the round because of a money check for betting).
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Have you simply tried disabling the high CPU retsart? This is on the managed panel of your game server.

Not a NFO employee
xancara
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xancara »

Yeah. Like I said, I am just more curious of if other people have experienced similar changes from the engine (seems to be increasingly CPU hungry lately).
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

CS:GO has always been a hog for me.

I have one server that uses 150% CPU when full, and it is no addons fault, it is because of the engine. Not that it is made poorly, IMO. It is because 64 tick is actually very high compared to most modern games.

I have a 128 tick 32 slot server that uses about 60% of an E3-1271v3 core when full, which is much more than a 2690v2 VDS could handle(The E3 turbos up to 4Ghz).
Not a NFO employee