Extreme Server Lag

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Evil Metro
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Extreme Server Lag

Post by Evil Metro »

Hello, Chirax here. I've been having extreme server lag since the day I purchased my VPS. From the Events Log, I could see there was a DDoS attack on Internap's Atlanta location which explained why the lag was so bad. A few days passed and the lag didn't improve, until I decided to relocate my VPS from Atlanta to Seattle, which apparently has good attack resiliency according to a reply on my support ticket.

Changing to Seattle didn't work, and I'm still getting massive lag. It takes longer than usual to connect to the server, then once you do, you stutter in one spot without being able to move for a few seconds. Picking up props has slow response time, and trying to move ragdolls is impossible. At first I thought it was my internet connection, but I quickly learned that it wasn't. Server latency is normal, my ping when on the server is 70-90, and my CPU usage is at 0% when running SRCDS. I've set the minrate to 30000 and the maxrate to 0, but it resolved nothing.

Here is a screenshot of my net graph, the choke is above 100: http://puu.sh/g03Dt/4efc227ffb.jpg

This lag has been prevalent since I first bought the VPS and set up a fresh Garry's Mod server install, so server files aren't the issue. What is wrong with my VPS and why is it acting this way? The times I've used NFO's VPS services in the past, I've never come across lag this severe with no discernible cause, especially on the very first day of turning the server on.

Please help. (SoJa, I need you!)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Extreme Server Lag

Post by kraze »

No doubt choke is your problem here. Your minrate is also very low, I'd recommend setting it to something like 100K and placing these in your server.cfg.

sv_parallel_packentities 0
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 1
net_queued_packet_thread 1
net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Evil Metro
A regular
A regular

Post by Evil Metro »

Thanks for the help, Kraze. Those commands make my server work great. I actually found out what was wrong, it was a huge overlook on my part. I pasted a generic server.cfg template from some site and little did I know, there was "sv_minrate 64" and "sv_maxrate 30000" which was completely off. Those were hiding at the bottom of the cfg file and I pasted the proper minrate and maxrate at the top, and wondered why the server was still lagging (stupid me).

Again, thanks for the assistance, and your service is great as always!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

I personally haven't been happy with either of my servers on my managed vds server.
At times its just lag...its a 6 core server too...
We run pretty basic servers without many mods. I might consider a dedicated machine later on this year if there is another sale.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

IcEWoLF wrote:I personally haven't been happy with either of my servers on my managed vds server.
We run pretty basic servers without many mods. I might consider a dedicated machine later on this year if there is another sale.
The issue here is a server misconfiguration, your issue is a lack of per core CPU power. One huge performance boost you can get is by setting this to 0:
sv_force_transmit_players 0
(CS:GO Only)

This will significantly reduce CPU usage, it is the only way we can run our 64 slot CS:GO servers without any lag.

Good luck.
Not a NFO employee
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

soja wrote:
IcEWoLF wrote:I personally haven't been happy with either of my servers on my managed vds server.
The issue here is a server misconfiguration, your issue is a lack of per core CPU power. One huge performance boost you can get is by setting this to 0:
sv_force_transmit_players 0
(CS:GO Only)

This will significantly reduce CPU usage, it is the only way we can run our 64 slot CS:GO servers without any lag.

Good luck.
We tried the above and nothing is helping...conclusion, a 6 core vds server can't run a 24 man CS:GO server without huge dips...
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

In this case it wouldn't be the overall the VDS struggling, but just the physical limit of the CPU in question. CSGO is mainly single threaded, so it's overall core speed that's going to make a difference here.

A full 128 tick server can push the limits of a non-virtualized CPU and I'd fully expect some issues to be seen when running larger servers in a virtual environment.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

kraze wrote:In this case it wouldn't be the overall the VDS struggling, but just the physical limit of the CPU in question. CSGO is mainly single threaded, so it's overall core speed that's going to make a difference here.

A full 128 tick server can push the limits of a non-virtualized CPU and I'd fully expect some issues to be seen when running larger servers in a virtual environment.
A 32 slot 128 tick server only peaks at 65% CPU on a Haswell E3.

Icewolf is only trying to run a 24 slot 128 tick server on his VDS.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Yes, your machines are some of the fastest on our network at the moment, so that number make sense.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

kraze wrote:Yes, your machines are some of the fastest on our network at the moment, so that number make sense.
My point was a large 128 tick server does not push the limits of a modern CPU, and Icewolf is not trying to run a large 128 tick server.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

soja wrote:
kraze wrote:Yes, your machines are some of the fastest on our network at the moment, so that number make sense.
My point was a large 128 tick server does not push the limits of a modern CPU, and Icewolf is not trying to run a large 128 tick server.
Soja, my reply was based off of the wide range of machines we run on our network, our network consist of many different machines and all of them are not the same as the fully dedicated servers you've purchased from us. I also factored in performances differences between Windows/Linux with some addons being ran. Basically I provided a generic figure that would provide information to anyone else viewing the thread, this was not directly meant for IcEWoLF and I thought I conveyed that by not specifically quoting him or directly mentioning his server or his settings.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Considering a dedicated machine but SJ only has the most expensive dedicated machine only E3-1271v3...which is $210, definitely out of our budget...
Since SJ is probably a smaller location than the bigger ones, we should be able to get the cheaper priced machines in here :/
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

IcEWoLF wrote:Since SJ is probably a smaller location than the bigger ones, we should be able to get the cheaper priced machines in here :/
Since SJ is much less popular than most locations, it has fewer old machines available. The cheaper machines are old ones that we no longer purchase but haven't yet retired.