Any news on GSP's shutting down their servers

markym
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Any news on GSP's shutting down their servers

Post by markym »

Hi Edge, some interesting stats I found on BFH vs BF4, PC - Console. No wonder so many PC servers like mine are empty or can't even get started up. BF4 had more players at peaks times than a brand new game. PC players did send a huge message in not buying the game, still sore from the BF4 debacle. But looks like it sold well on consoles for BFH.

Those of us with rented servers really need the GSP's to start shutting down their servers -- any news on if EA is going to allow that to happen? It simply doesn't look good to sign on and see tons of empty servers. I rented a server for three months and since day one I haven't even been able to get a game started in it. I end up playing on a general GSP server that's full while I'm paying for an empty 50 slot server. If this doesn't change will be no reason to rent a server. I just don't ever recall a launch where so many GSP servers were established and left up after a new game launch. Thanks for your understanding.

pc.peak24 = bfh 22880, bf4 33191
xone.peak24 = bfh 82968, bf4 19469
ps4.peak24 = bfh 87355, bf4 30067
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Any news on GSP's shutting down their servers

Post by Edge100x »

I do not have any news yet. This game is still very new.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Also I think GSP's shouldn't be allowed to spam servers...I mean whats the point of having over 1000 empty servers? Example: NFO #84, not just nfo, but all other GSP's doing the same... That hurts server owners.
GSP should only be allowed to maybe put 10 servers max per location...or less.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Its a business and GSP's are here to make money just like any other business. Why should anyone tell a GSP how many servers they can or *should* be allowed to put up? If they have the resources and wish to do so, then spam on.

I would personally be more impressed with a GSP that told someone like EA to go screw themselves until they have a proper working product. IMHO the crappy software EA continue to release makes NFO and any other decent GSP look bad. High end hardware and bandwidth crippled by shoddy programming and weak server backend = NFO gets the black eye. I have to sit here and bite my tongue when people complain about how bad these games are at release, and yet CONTINUE to buy the games and support the bad developers. I personally regret buying BF4, have logged less than 2 hours on that crappy game, did not buy any of the DLC and will not buy BFH. I played the BFH beta for like 5 mins and that was enough for me.

As long as people continue to buy their games, as long as GSP's continue to support them by putting 100+ or so high end servers up on their behalf, then why should they improve their games or make them any better at launch? There is no incentive for them to, people (especially consoles) continue to throw money at them. Vote with your wallets, stop buying their games.

Bottom line, to answer your question, if John has the resources and the desire to put up 5,000 BFH servers and flood the BL with their name as advertisement, more power to him. If John wishes to put up 5,000 BFH servers and flood the BL with servers names like "NFO #1 - US East - EA FIX YOUR SH*T" then NFO would get mad props from at least me for it. Though they would probably lose their RSP status and thus lose money by not being able to offer the servers. A catch 22 snafu. If you wish to put up a server like this, you should understand that your servers is merely just a name in the sea of servers that are out there. From what I understand, to get match maker players you have to be set to official, in which you cant even admin your own server properly. This practice just makes no sense to me.

I still have hours of fun playing BC2. IMO the games really started going down hill after that.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's not a matter of what RSPs desire in this case. It is a matter of what EA/DICE has asked RSPs to do for the launch (keep in mind that contracts are involved here). I'm sure that they will be looking at usage and gauging what to change after the weekend, which is reasonable.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Edge100x wrote:It's not a matter of what RSPs desire in this case. It is a matter of what EA/DICE has asked RSPs to do for the launch (keep in mind that contracts are involved here). I'm sure that they will be looking at usage and gauging what to change after the weekend, which is reasonable.
Question do GSP's host the console game servers too part of their contract with EA?

I noticed lots of rubber banding on consoles (PS4)
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

I thought consoles were P2P?

Either way, I am glad the PC gaming market is boycotting BFH. Yes, it's a nice game and I'd really like to play it, but I am fed up with the DLC and premium bullshit they do every single release cycle. Fuck it.

They either start releasing Battlefield games for set price which includes all DLC and updates like most other games or they won't have my money. Yes, console tolerates these things and that's their problem but EA needs to realize the PC market isn't so dumb. After a while we catch on.
markym
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by markym »

Let my clarify guys, I don't have any issue with what a GSP does with their servers -- I know it's a business, but in the long run it will hurt their business when their paying customers like me cancel their servers like I just did. I'm a long term NFO customer but I'll not pay for an empty server with no hope of being able to fill it up so my group can play together. We will just go use a server with players in it. EA's server model via Quick play pushes players to servers that have more players in them. So from where I sit there is no benefit (a bit of advertising I suppose) for a GSP to keep up dozens of their own empty servers). I'm not going to waste $50 bucks a month on a server that's empty. Sad that I cancelled mine but I don't see this game going in the right direction at all for the PC. I wish you all the best of luck with your servers.
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

In my opinion there will be more players for PC if EA`s whole catelog of BF games where to be released on steam only.Regardless if BF4 or BFH sucks.I gather steams TOS bokedown there relationship.

Theres still alot of players for BFBC2 because of steam.Steam keeps pc gaming alive.
But thats just another debate.(Running origin + Steam clients).
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

J-English wrote:In my opinion there will be more players for PC if EA`s whole catelog of BF games where to be released on steam only.Regardless if BF4 or BFH sucks.I gather steams TOS bokedown there relationship.

Theres still alot of players for BFBC2 because of steam.Steam keeps pc gaming alive.
But thats just another debate.(Running origin + Steam clients).
Totally agree, but EA will never give their games to steam since it defeats the purpose of origin. And that's an ego thing I imagine.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Edge100x wrote:It's not a matter of what RSPs desire in this case. It is a matter of what EA/DICE has asked RSPs to do for the launch (keep in mind that contracts are involved here). I'm sure that they will be looking at usage and gauging what to change after the weekend, which is reasonable.
Whoa whoa whoa...are you saying that you are contractually obligated to host servers for them for FREE in order to be an RSP? THAT is ridiculous.
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

TacTicToe wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa...are you saying that you are contractually obligated to host servers for them for FREE in order to be an RSP? THAT is ridiculous.
What, you thought you get to pay them just the per slot fee and that's it? Ha.
I wouldn't be surprised if they also require a cut of all the profits on top of all they already get.
stryfe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by stryfe »

This game took a dive after launch. No where NEAR the amount of server that Battlefield 4 had. If I recall BF4 had over what 9000 servers online? Where hardline doesn't even have 2k. They still prevailed in the console market which is obviously their target audience now they could care 2 shits about the PC group anymore.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It has been pretty steady in terms of player usage each night since the launch, at least here.

Most RSP-provided servers should be shut down at this point. I know that we only have one extra server up at each location.