Killing Floor 2 beta server not running

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Killing Floor 2

Post by Edge100x »

It will be important that you run it by hand to try to get a better error message.

Also, I will move this to the correct forum.
markg
A regular
A regular

Re: Killing Floor 2 beta server not running

Post by markg »

I did that

ie; navigated to binaries\Win64\kfserver
then typed:

kfserver kf_bioticslab?adminpassword=123

then tried:

kfserver

they both simply return with a double space between

now to see if something was wrong with me, I intentionally mistyped it:

kfsvr and got a "kfsvr is not recognized as an internal or external command..." which is what I expected

Then I did the exact same thing on the system that works and I see part of the problem I am having in resolving this; that cmd window reacts exactly the same way. ie nothing happens except a line return.

what DOES happen is that it launches a new window with the server running in that window.

so no error message, just no new window launching with the server running
Mike Rowe
A regular
A regular

Post by Mike Rowe »

Is there a web admin for 2 like there was for 1?
Its a Dirty Job
markg
A regular
A regular

Post by markg »

Mike Rowe wrote:Is there a web admin for 2 like there was for 1?
much better than the interface for 1

but what does that have to do with the topic of this thread?
markg
A regular
A regular

Post by markg »

There was another update, and no change.

anyone have any ideas for at least troubleshooting this issue, as ive tried everything I can think of.

thanks.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Are you running any other UE3-based servers on the same VDS?

With VC2010 x64 and DirectX libraries installed, it works on our managed Windows 2008 R2 installs (including VDSes).
markg
A regular
A regular

Post by markg »

I was, but turned them off just in case, no change.

ill go ahead and reinstall VC2010 x64 and DirectX libraries just in case...
markg
A regular
A regular

Post by markg »

I tried attaching a png and gif of the installed programs, but they wouldn't take, so I zipped it up; hope that's ok.

this is a snapshot of what programs have been installed on my 2008r2 server, just in case im missing something.
Attachments
programs.zip
(20.7 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
markg
A regular
A regular

Re: Killing Floor 2

Post by markg »

Edge100x wrote:Did you also install the x64 VC2010 redist file in the _CommonRedist/vcredist/2010 folder?
I did find a Redist folder which has the UE3Redeist.exe file.

tried running it, received an error:

installation failed
Your video card must support at least shader model 3. installer will now exit.

so how do I set it up to think it has shader model 3 or better?
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

I had no problems setting up the KF2 server, except that I had to install the Visual C++ libraries of the 2010 version of course.

The Visual C++ file is called vcredist_x64.exe (or vcredist_x86.exe) for the 32bit/64bit OS version, not UE3Redeist.exe. You can either download them from Microsoft, or use the version supplied in the \_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010 folder.

If you do not have that folder, try to download the files again and activate the validate flag.

What AppId are you using (should be 232130)? What happens when you start the server with the -log=kf2_log.txt parameter (meaning, what is the log file output)?
markg
A regular
A regular

Post by markg »

Caliban55 wrote:I had no problems setting up the KF2 server, except that I had to install the Visual C++ libraries of the 2010 version of course.

The Visual C++ file is called vcredist_x64.exe (or vcredist_x86.exe) for the 32bit/64bit OS version, not UE3Redeist.exe. You can either download them from Microsoft, or use the version supplied in the \_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010 folder.

If you do not have that folder, try to download the files again and activate the validate flag.

What AppId are you using (should be 232130)? What happens when you start the server with the -log=kf2_log.txt parameter (meaning, what is the log file output)?
Thanks for the suggestions!

the logs; nothing is written. and to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, I did the exact same thing on the win 7/working system and it does indeed write a log file. so I guess it isn't even getting started.

the \_CommonRedist folder; where is that? if in the kf2 server directory, neither of my installs have it.
and I have used the validate flag, and actually installed it on a third machine which also works.

232130 is the correct AppId that im using

and the c++ 2010 libraries I had installed earler, both the x86 and the 64 versions just to make sure; you can verify I have the correct ones on that gif I posted earlier

the lack of a log file is telling; it was a great suggestion, but since there is NO output on this failed server, it seems the logging doesn't start until after whatever is broken crashes the launch.

I have no clue what to do next.
markg
A regular
A regular

Post by markg »

so the game was announced, and I bought it.

installed steam on the server so I could install killing floor 2 dedicated server from the library (just as another test to see whats going on)

this one doesn't work either, but I get a error message!! so progress.

it says: Steam Error Failed to start game (missing executable). See the Steam support site for more information. most of the site it points me too is about anti virus etc which isn't installed on this box
but at least it did something.

fwiw, I get the same error on several of the steam library dedicated server games, but NOT on any I installed using steamcmd (except of course kf2).

More info:

the \_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010 folder WAS installed in the steam library version (not the steamcmd version) of the server, so now I see it. yes, both of those had been installed previously, but I did a repair with them just in case. no change
markg
A regular
A regular

Post by markg »

Solved:

it had nothing to do with the files mentioned

the vps with windows 2008r2 installed had the latest directx installed (per a earlier suggestion), but NOT one KF2 recognized.

Installing a few older versions fixed it.

too bad no error messages were thrown by this, but now everything works and we have 5 servers running from one directory, just like the old KF.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

The solution in my first post solved your problem.
Not a NFO employee
barronofhellion
New to forums
New to forums

Post by barronofhellion »

If anyone likes my map, host it on some servers!! http://kf2.gamebanana.com/maps/188415