KF2 resources

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Mike Rowe
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

KF2 resources

Post by Mike Rowe »

Thinking about renting a 4 core/4gb managed VPS and was wondering about how many instances of KF2 that would handle.
Its a Dirty Job
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: KF2 resources

Post by soja »

I think abdul is running this config, but I would estimate probably 6-8 KF2 instances. You may be able to run a couple more if you add RAM. The server uses up to 750MB per instance.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, RAM will be your limiting factor. You can anticipate them using 650 MB to start and going up to at least 800 MB after a day -- even higher if you let them run longer. TWI is working on this and hopefully it will go down later in the EA period.
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

Yeah hopefully this does get fixed soon, iv seen my server hit a max of 721 MB of RAM with just 3 players.
Kuebic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Kuebic »

Howdy

So I also had a 4core/4gb ram managed VPS left over from running multiple KF1 servers and so I upgraded a few to KF2. I found that in order to have multiple servers running, I had to make each of them prefer a different core by adding

Code: Select all

-PREFERPROCESSOR=#
in the startup line.

Is there a way I can run more than the amount of cores if memory is not a factor?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Kuebic wrote:Howdy

So I also had a 4core/4gb ram managed VPS left over from running multiple KF1 servers and so I upgraded a few to KF2. I found that in order to have multiple servers running, I had to make each of them prefer a different core by adding

-PREFERPROCESSOR=#
in the startup line.

Is there a way I can run more than the amount of cores if memory is not a factor?
I have 16 servers on an unmanaged machine, and another 16 on a managed machine, both are Xeon E3's(4c/8t) and I have not had to mess with the perferprocessor command line option. What errors are you seeing while not using it?
Not a NFO employee
Kuebic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Kuebic »

soja wrote:
Kuebic wrote:Howdy

-PREFERPROCESSOR=#
in the startup line.

I have 16 servers on an unmanaged machine, and another 16 on a managed machine, both are Xeon E3's(4c/8t) and I have not had to mess with the perferprocessor command line option. What errors are you seeing while not using it?
Thanks for your quick reply! It's not really an error but more the lack of a running server. When I didn't specify a preferred processor, the second server I start won't be shown as running in the Status tab, nor would it's webadmin be available. But once I specified different cores for them, they run simultaneously.

I'm confused myself :/
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I have never seen that. I'd have to look at your servers specifically to try to determine what might be going on.
oldschool
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by oldschool »

Regarding KF2...Since patch 1007...Is there a limit to the amount of players you can run? All I see is 6 player servers in the lobby(the hide custom button is not checked)

Also is there a way to run a co op server? I have 2 KF2 servers going now, I'd like to be able to change the amount of players or edit one to co-operative.
Kuebic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Kuebic »

oldschool wrote:Regarding KF2...Since patch 1007...Is there a limit to the amount of players you can run? All I see is 6 player servers in the lobby(the hide custom button is not checked)

Also is there a way to run a co op server? I have 2 KF2 servers going now, I'd like to be able to change the amount of players or edit one to co-operative.
TWI didn't disable the mutator although they could have. The max-player mutator still works, but it will derank your server. Meaning, players joining can use their perk levels when joining, but won't be able to level up. Whatever they earn on your server is lost during a map change and/or switching servers.

Not just for max players, but any mutators that came out recently. I believe it was screwing with their balancing data.

As for running a co-op server, meaning putting the limit to players to be 2 player? There's are several ways I can think of.

I believe also in the PCServer_KFGame.ini file, there's a max-player variable you can modify. I don't believe it will derank your server if you place a number lower than 6, but I haven't tested it. It may show a "maintenance" icon next to your server in the browser, but the icon only indicates it as a "modified" server.

Another way is passwording the server and only telling one other person about it. This method should not derank your server.

The other is from the webadmin, have it block all IP addresses except for yours and your special co-op friend. That also should not derank your server.
oldschool
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by oldschool »

Nice...Lotsa info. I appreciate it. :mrgreen: