Speedtest Servers

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Cyge
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Speedtest Servers

Post by Cyge »

Have you guys ever thought about hosting one server for Speedtest.net in all your locations, it's a good way to advertise your company. If your interested you can visit this link for more information http://www.ookla.com/host
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Speedtest Servers

Post by soja »

I disagree that it is good exposure. You get your name in fine print in a small banner.

In addition, a speedtest server in a large city will use upwards of 30TB/m, which is very expensive on Internap.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We have considered doing a speed test server previously, but ultimately it's a large invest with very little benefit. Not only are they bandwidth suckers, but we must ensure that whenever someone runs one that it will show line speed . This means multiple 10Gbps NICs(which can be several hundred apiece or more). A speed test would also cause problems for other customers hosted on the same box. Every run a speed test on your own connection and notice latency and even some packet loss? Now imagine that in a production environment.

Unfortunately, speed test don't really serve much of a role in troubleshooting problems. It's really more of a trophy then anything. That doesn't mean one will never come, but it's not something we're immediately considering.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

Well what you guys could do is make the Speedtest server only show up for certain IP's such as anything from your locations network (AT&T does this) so only your customers can test there servers speed, as i think the closest comparison would be with something from the same network, also about the slowing other servers on the same machine you could just run it on a separate machine that isnt hosting anything else or a VDS.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

A VDS would not work here. The speed test server itself would need to be a dedicated machine with multiple 10Gbps NICs. Though, the issue comes from customers themselves running the test. We ultimately don't want customers running them as they can temporarily use an entire port on the machine, causing for issues.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

theRadAleks wrote:Well what you guys could do is make the Speedtest server only show up for certain IP's such as anything from your locations network (AT&T does this) so only your customers can test there servers speed, as i think the closest comparison would be with something from the same network, also about the slowing other servers on the same machine you could just run it on a separate machine that isnt hosting anything else or a VDS.
This would probably require paying a hefty fee to ookla to license their speed test(of course one could be developed in-house I guess).

Testing speeds to an internal network seems pointless anyway, what does that prove? If you want a cool image to show off just install speedtest.net mini to a web server on your home LAN and run it.
Not a NFO employee