Clarification Please?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Wrath
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Clarification Please?

Post by Wrath »

Hi there, I'm currently running a Minecraft server from NFOServers with 1536 MB of RAM, and a year ago I ran a Garry's Mod server, also from NFO.

Now, I was looking at the VDS, and I don't know if I'm understanding wrong or if it really is as good as it sounds.

I'm thinking of eventually paying for a Four core or a Six core VDS, and here are the impressions that I'm under:
- I can host unlimited servers on the machine (well, at least as much as the machine can run, of course)
- I can still access the control panels for all the servers
- I can use the Order page to automatically install a new server at any time for free
- I can manage the files for the servers with ease using FileZilla

Are all of these correct, or am I simply misunderstanding? The servers seem pretty cheap if this is the case, and I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one at some point down the line. Is there a reason to pay for 2 ~$20/month servers rather than just paying for the VDS? Is set-up easy?

Thanks for any replies! It's much appreciated.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Clarification Please?

Post by kraze »

Everything you mentioned is correct for a managed VDS. VDS's and game servers also target different parts of the market which is why pricing is different. A VDS is great for medium-large groups who want great performance, but also want to be able to run many different servers without breaking the bank. Though, there is also a very small performance hit for being in a virtual environment. Generally this hit is unnoticeable for most games, but very intense games(Arma/NS2/BF4) it can become noticeable.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Wrath
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Wrath »

Ah, I see. I was thinking of purchasing a 3 core VDS later this month and eventually upgrading. Would it be able to handle a heavily modded MC server for 5 people (~1500M RAM) and a 20-slot Gmod server (~700M RAM) well?

Thanks!
Wrath
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Wrath »

Sorry for the double post; it won't let me edit my other one.

Is the Spring VDS sale still active? How much longer is it set to be?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Resource wise it shouldn't be a problem, though it's hard to say for sure as broken or unoptimized server content can wreak havoc on servers and their usage.

As of now the Spring sale is still in effect, yes :D
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Wrath
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Wrath »

kraze wrote:Resource wise it shouldn't be a problem, though it's hard to say for sure as broken or unoptimized server content can wreak havoc on servers and their usage.

As of now the Spring sale is still in effect, yes :D
Great! Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how much longer the sale will last?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Currently there is no end-date, but the sale has been going a while and could end any day.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Wrath
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Wrath »

kraze wrote:Currently there is no end-date, but the sale has been going a while and could end any day.
Ah, I see. Do you have any recommendations for which OS would be the best for my purposes?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Wells, MC runs much better on Linux but Garry's mod runs better on Windows. So you are kind of stuck there. I'd recommend Windows for ease of use, but if you are familiar with Linux I'd say go with that.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Please note that if you plan to purchase the 3-core plan, you will not be able to utilize the NFO control panel for your game servers. You will get the control panel to do basic things like checking bandwidth usage and installing your OS. Managed requires you to purchase at least a 4-core VDS.

On unmanaged you must set up your own FTP server, your own auto-restart scripts, update your own servers, etc.
Not a NFO employee
Wrath
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Wrath »

soja wrote:Please note that if you plan to purchase the 3-core plan, you will not be able to utilize the NFO control panel for your game servers. You will get the control panel to do basic things like checking bandwidth usage and installing your OS. Managed requires you to purchase at least a 4-core VDS.

On unmanaged you must set up your own FTP server, your own auto-restart scripts, update your own servers, etc.
Ah, yes. I looked into it a bit more and have decided to go with the four core. :)