Homefront Server issues?

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Talthos
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Homefront Server issues?

Post by Talthos »

Okay, so recently, I've had two "Automatic Remote Repair" events take place over the last two days. Both times, my Homefront server didn't start back up on its own, and I had to start it again manually. Another point of note is that my server also sustained a DDOS attack on July 2nd.

Is this normal, expected server behaviour? Or is there an underlying server problem that I need to fix now?

On a side note, I'd like to know if my Homefront server can be configured to reliably auto-kick players that are above a certain ping limit; I'd like to enforce a maximum ping limit to ensure a more level playing field.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Homefront Server issues?

Post by soja »

If the server cannot be queried by NFO over around 10 minutes, the server will be repaired automatically, It is pretty harmless. Unfortunately NFO's system doesn't take into account if the server was attacked or nulled, so it will repeatedly attempt to reboot and repair it when there is nothing actually wrong.

I don't have any experience specifically with homefront, but I generally ignore these "Automatic Remote Repair" emails for my servers.
Not a NFO employee
Talthos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Talthos »

soja wrote:If the server cannot be queried by NFO over around 10 minutes, the server will be repaired automatically, It is pretty harmless. Unfortunately NFO's system doesn't take into account if the server was attacked or nulled, so it will repeatedly attempt to reboot and repair it when there is nothing actually wrong.

I don't have any experience specifically with homefront, but I generally ignore these "Automatic Remote Repair" emails for my servers.
It leaves my server offline until I manually start it, however. So it's going to be a hassle if I'm not around to do so.

I guess you don't know if Homefront can be configured to auto-kick at a certain ping threshold? Or if NFO offers plugins to do so? Manually kicking people is less than ideal, :(
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Did the attack you mentioned result in a null route?

I don't know of a way to auto kick high ping players, sorry :/
Not a NFO employee
Talthos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Talthos »

soja wrote:Did the attack you mentioned result in a null route?

I don't know of a way to auto kick high ping players, sorry :/
I'm not sure, actually. Does NFO keep an event record for events older than 14 days?

I'm having trouble finding it.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

You would of received an email in the format:
Subject: Re: Your DDoS attack today (for youridentifier/game)
Not a NFO employee
Talthos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Talthos »

soja wrote:You would of received an email in the format:
Subject: Re: Your DDoS attack today (for youridentifier/game)
Oh, I still have the email. But it doesn't give me the complete details of the attack; only a link to the Events log, which no longer lists the attack.

Heck, the email is the only reason that I know it was on July 2nd now.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I meant the subject line is different for an attack that was successfully blocked, and an attack that resulted in a null route.

An attacked that was blocked has the subject line:
(D)DoS attack against your service (for youridentifier/game)

An attack that resulted in a null route has the subject line:
Re: Your DDoS attack today (for youridentifier/game)
Not a NFO employee
Talthos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Talthos »

soja wrote:I meant the subject line is different for an attack that was successfully blocked, and an attack that resulted in a null route.

Weird, because this is what the email looks like:

Title: Brief connection problem due to an attack (for NAWest/game)?

Message: A new service interruption event has been posted the "Events log" page in the control panel for your server. To view this event, please visit our control panel.

-The NFOservers.com team

This event notifications was sent to you automatically. If you wish to disable automatic bandwidth notifications entirely, please uncheck the appropriate box on the "Events log" page.
You can also opt out of all bandwidth event emails for all servers permanently by clicking here.

Not sure what the subject line is. I'm using Outlook, by the way; it started out as Hotmail.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Talthos wrote:
soja wrote:I meant the subject line is different for an attack that was successfully blocked, and an attack that resulted in a null route.

Message: A new service interruption event has been posted the "Events log" page in the control panel for your server. To view this event, please visit our control panel.

-The NFOservers.com team

This event notifications was sent to you automatically. If you wish to disable automatic bandwidth notifications entirely, please uncheck the appropriate box on the "Events log" page.
You can also opt out of all bandwidth event emails for all servers permanently by clicking here.

Not sure what the subject line is. I'm using Outlook, by the way; it started out as Hotmail.
Oh I see, your server wasn't attacked, there was a connection problem at the location your server is hosted.

How often does the automatic remote repair happen?
Not a NFO employee
Talthos
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Talthos »

soja wrote:
Talthos wrote:

-The NFOservers.com team

Oh I see, your server wasn't attacked, there was a connection problem at the location your server is hosted.

How often does the automatic remote repair happen?
Do note the title contains "due to an attack" as part of the connection problem.

As for the automatic remote repair, apparently that has occurred exactly twice in the same day; yesterday, in fact. And an "automatic remote restart" also occurred three times on the same day.

Perhaps I should just post the whole log concerning the remote repair?
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

You can either run the Homefront rcon program locally, and tick the box under the Admin tab that says "Enable High Ping Kick" and then in the pull down menu set the ping limit.

Alternatively you can run something like Big Brother Bot and set the ping limit there and it will auto kick high pings.

In either case youll have to run these things on a separate system. If you want these admin tools online 24/7, you may wish to rent a small VPS and set everything up there.