Dedicated Servers Firewall panel

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
StonedPenguin
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedicated Servers Firewall panel

Post by StonedPenguin »

Is there any reason there's no firewall panel as there is with VDS's? Additionally is there any reason permanent filters can't be added by support being that there is no firewall panel?
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Re: Dedicated Servers Firewall panel

Post by hiimcody1 »

StonedPenguin wrote:Is there any reason there's no firewall panel as there is with VDS's?
The firewall panel on VDSes works with iptables on the dom0 iirc. A dedi isn't virtualized so there isn't a firewall to address. Instead you'd need to use the firewall built into the OS on the dedi.
StonedPenguin wrote:Additionally is there any reason permanent filters can't be added by support being that there is no firewall panel?
Anything added by us for a dedi would have to be at machine-level or at router-level.

Since an Unmanaged dedi is configured by you, we don't have access to it and as such can't apply a firewall rule to it.

That leaves adding rules to the router. Adding unique rules to the router has a performance hit for everyone behind the router, so unless the rule you need would make sense to apply globally, we generally aren't going to be able to apply it.
Abdul
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Abdul »

On a managed dedicated server you can add firewall rules on each gameserver - although the rule would only apply to that gameserver, not the entire machine.

I've never really understood why we can't just apply a rule on the whole machine, rather than per-gameserver.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Abdul wrote:On a managed dedicated server you can add firewall rules on each gameserver - although the rule would only apply to that gameserver, not the entire machine.

I've never really understood why we can't just apply a rule on the whole machine, rather than per-gameserver.
It was possible to block access to the machine, even to NFO, by adding certain firewall rules. It used to be possible, it was removed a while ago.
Not a NFO employee