Latency issues? pre-purchase question

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Latency issues? pre-purchase question

Post by jakepbrown »

Hi all! So, at the moment I am renting a VPS from survivalservers.net or whatever (100 slot server) and it starts to lag and rubber band like crazy when just 30 players get on. So I was told NFO might be the way to go; but can anyone tell me from experience if a VDS would work well to host 40+ players? Anyone able to direct me to a NFO hosted Ark Server? (IP:PORT) to check it out?

I was thinking I'd go with the 8CPU/8GB Ram solution, add a 30gb SSD for OS/Game files, and another 4-8GB ram to ensure enough is available. I do not want to tell my users however that we're going to migrate and be in the same situation again. Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Latency issues? pre-purchase question

Post by soja »

ARK has very high CPU usage requirements, more than a VDS can provide. This is mainly due to the un-optimized nature of ARK still. I would not recommend a VDS for a large ARK server.

You are probably seeing rubber banding because even on extremely high end hardware, when ARK gets enough players it will use an entire CPU core. Your best bet would be an unmanaged dedi, but they can get pricey.
Not a NFO employee
jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums

Post by jakepbrown »

So straight to the full machine is the best bet?has anyone by chance have any experience with them? (specifically hosting Ark?)
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

We host our Ark server on our full dedi box. It is installed on the SSD drive for a bit of a performance boost.

jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums

Post by jakepbrown »

TacTicToe wrote:We host our Ark server on our full dedi box. It is installed on the SSD drive for a bit of a performance boost.

Do you think the SSD provided a large performance gain? Looks like at this point if I want to host a 'lag free' server my best best is a full dedicated machine.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

jakepbrown wrote:
TacTicToe wrote:We host our Ark server on our full dedi box. It is installed on the SSD drive for a bit of a performance boost.

Do you think the SSD provided a large performance gain? Looks like at this point if I want to host a 'lag free' server my best best is a full dedicated machine.
I'm not sure if it provides a performance gain, but ARK does have quite a bit of disk usage while online. NFO's best dedis offer SSD's standard, so you can't go wrong.
Not a NFO employee