ARK: Survival Evolved

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Woody44
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved

Post by Woody44 »

I would love to see NFO support Ark. I have all my servers with NFO other than ARK, which I have to host with a different provider.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Woody44 wrote:I would love to see NFO support Ark. I have all my servers with NFO other than ARK, which I have to host with a different provider.
That is your choice. Ours is hosted with NFOservers, so no reason you could not as well. It runs damn smooth so far, for an EA release.

jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums

Post by jakepbrown »

TacTicToe wrote:
Woody44 wrote:I would love to see NFO support Ark. I have all my servers with NFO other than ARK, which I have to host with a different provider.
That is your choice. Ours is hosted with NFOservers, so no reason you could not as well. It runs damn smooth so far, for an EA release.

I really have to agree, I started with a different provider at first - payed for a 100 slot server and go to about 25 people the server just started lagging like CRAZY. Switched over to a NFO Dedi - we literally had I think 53 people on - latency never got about 60.
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

Any news on when NFO will start providing this game?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

There is currently no ETA on hosting this game. Right now it's still very early in release and is undergoing constant changes, but we're actively monitoring its progress. Don't worry though, many of the staff are playing this as their daily driver so the thought host it is definitely at the forefront.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

theRadAleks wrote:Any news on when NFO will start providing this game?
Its already supported if you just get a VDS or unmanaged full dedi. Setup is not that hard. Keeping up with the updates, that is another story. So if you really want a NFOserver's Ark server that badly, the only thing stopping you, is you. Our Ark server is hosted by NFOservers. And you know what? It runs flawlessly and those that play on it tell me it is one of the best running servers they have ever been on. Of course I have heard a lot of gripes about how bad it is on official servers, so the bar was not set that high to begin with.

Order a VDS and if you need. we can help you get it setup and online.
jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums

Post by jakepbrown »

TacTicToe wrote:
theRadAleks wrote:Any news on when NFO will start providing this game?
Its already supported if you just get a VDS or unmanaged full dedi. Setup is not that hard. Keeping up with the updates, that is another story. So if you really want a NFOserver's Ark server that badly, the only thing stopping you, is you. Our Ark server is hosted by NFOservers. And you know what? It runs flawlessly and those that play on it tell me it is one of the best running servers they have ever been on. Of course I have heard a lot of gripes about how bad it is on official servers, so the bar was not set that high to begin with.

Order a VDS and if you need. we can help you get it setup and online.
I actually came across a PowerShell script that can assist with the update issue as well. I've also created a script that can automatically perform a full physical reboot, and start the server back up upon system start up (helps just to keep everything running buttery smooth.) I just put the script on desktop/wherever you'd like and have task scheduler launch it every 30 minutes to check for updates. :) worked great so far. If you you want to give it a go let me know and I'll upload them to a drop box or something.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

I personally do not need this script. We use FireDaemon to run our servers. Every morning at 6am our server reboots to keep things fresh. I use the post service routine to run SteamCmd to update the server, and then restarts. So for us, it is already automated.
mennes
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mennes »

Have you guys ever considered doing something where customers can pledge X money a month for an X slot/X RAM Server for scenarios such as this?

Because then you would have a much better idea of how many people would be willing to rent a server and you could even make it more of a pre-order (if the target amount of customers are reached) so then you could fund the development process better. This idea might not be for everyone, but I would most defianatly do it if that ment speeding up the process of adding more managed servers.

Ya we can always go unmanged, but thats so expensive unless you go VPS but then you are just going to be having resource problems.

I would love to see more variety with the managed packages, most of the games on that list are very outdated (leave them on there because i love being able to use them).
Feel free to contact me on discordd @ Mennes34
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The biggest issue we see when it comes to supporting new games is that most games are not far enough along in their development to be hosted without much more work on our end. Couple of prime examples here are Rust and ARK. Rust, still doesn't support IP binding nor does it support reading from configuration files. ARK, while much newer is still very unoptimized making it more expensive to host. Both games are still early access and are ever changing, which means it may work right now, but if the next update suddenly adds a serious crashing bug or drastically increased hosting requirements, it will greatly complicate things.

We also must make sure that the game can survive the test of time. There have been games where dozens upon dozens of customers have flooded us asking if we'll host it. Then two weeks later everyone has forgot and the game has seemingly disappeared off the map.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

What Kraze said.

We host an Ark and a Rust server on our full dedi box, and its all we can do to just keep up with the friggin updates!! Its ridiculous. Ark (though it has gotten better) is a massive resource hog and still horribly optimized. Honestly, for it to be worth NFO's while they would probably have to charge between 3-4 dollars per slot. So 50 slot Ark server at 3$ a slot = $150 and for $40 more you have their high end full box.

Unfortunately Ark just isnt quite there yet. If you want to run mods on your Ark server, updates are even more of a nightmare.

Now with that said, our servers are installed and running off the SSD drive, and we get compliments all the time on just how well it runs, especially in relation to official servers or subpar hosting companies.