General Database Question(s)

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

General Database Question(s)

Post by DoctorFink »

In regards to webhosting and the databases therein, do most of you run a single master database and then tables under that for the various components (phpBB, MyBB, SourceBans, etc.) or do you have one database for each component?

Curious how most handle that. I'll be setting up my first database soon for either phpBB or MyBB and the question popped into my head.

Thanks much!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: General Database Question(s)

Post by soja »

DoctorFink wrote:In regards to webhosting and the databases therein, do most of you run a single master database and then tables under that for the various components (phpBB, MyBB, SourceBans, etc.) or do you have one database for each component?

Curious how most handle that. I'll be setting up my first database soon for either phpBB or MyBB and the question popped into my head.

Thanks much!
I do a little bit of both. Some forum addons I have for IPB require a database, for that I use tables inside my main IPB database. For sourcebans and every other sourcemod plugin we have, we run seperate databases(about 76 in total).
Not a NFO employee
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

soja wrote:I do a little bit of both. Some forum addons I have for IPB require a database, for that I use tables inside my main IPB database. For sourcebans and every other sourcemod plugin we have, we run seperate databases(about 76 in total).
This is great information! I was planning on doing exactly what you do - one database for the main stuff (forum, for example) and anything relating to that in tables within that main database. Once I get around to setting up SourceBans, I'll run that in its own database for sure. Waiting on that as I'm a bit intimidated by it, honestly. :oops:

Thanks for the response, Soja!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

DoctorFink wrote:
soja wrote:I do a little bit of both. Some forum addons I have for IPB require a database, for that I use tables inside my main IPB database. For sourcebans and every other sourcemod plugin we have, we run seperate databases(about 76 in total).
This is great information! I was planning on doing exactly what you do - one database for the main stuff (forum, for example) and anything relating to that in tables within that main database. Once I get around to setting up SourceBans, I'll run that in its own database for sure. Waiting on that as I'm a bit intimidated by it, honestly. :oops:

Thanks for the response, Soja!
Once you understand sourcebans, it's not really all that difficult. If you have any questions about it ask here, I have helped many people out installing it :)
Not a NFO employee
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

soja wrote:Once you understand sourcebans, it's not really all that difficult. If you have any questions about it ask here, I have helped many people out installing it :)
I appreciate the encouragement and offer to help - your name is definitely one of the ones I see on here the most!

I've got the game server up and it's functioning great. All the maps I want, Sourcemod and such is on and working so I can admin when needed, etc. Now I am focusing on our webhosting/forum software. Can't decide which one I want, but I'm leaning towards phpBB mainly because it's available as an Autoinstaller and for a newb like me, that's a major selling point! :P
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

DoctorFink wrote:
soja wrote:Once you understand sourcebans, it's not really all that difficult. If you have any questions about it ask here, I have helped many people out installing it :)
I appreciate the encouragement and offer to help - your name is definitely one of the ones I see on here the most!

I've got the game server up and it's functioning great. All the maps I want, Sourcemod and such is on and working so I can admin when needed, etc. Now I am focusing on our webhosting/forum software. Can't decide which one I want, but I'm leaning towards phpBB mainly because it's available as an Autoinstaller and for a newb like me, that's a major selling point! :P
Yeah as far as free solutions go, phpbb is a great choice :)

You may want to look at how much you can customize before you commit to one, things like themes, addons, etc.
Not a NFO employee
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

soja wrote:Yeah as far as free solutions go, phpbb is a great choice :)

You may want to look at how much you can customize before you commit to one, things like themes, addons, etc.
I have done quite a bit of looking and it seems, as you said, as far as free goes, phpBB seems to be a great choice. There are some adament MyBB people, but I honestly think their interface seems a little gimmicky. However, they do allow for Javascript and other plugins.

In the end, I don't see myself needing a ton of customization outside of colors, minor layout things and standard add-ons like Announcements and such.

I've heard good things about IPB, but have no first-hand experience with them. I wish vBulletin was cheaper...
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

DoctorFink wrote:
soja wrote:Yeah as far as free solutions go, phpbb is a great choice :)

I have done quite a bit of looking and it seems, as you said, as far as free goes, phpBB seems to be a great choice. There are some adament MyBB people, but I honestly think their interface seems a little gimmicky. However, they do allow for Javascript and other plugins.

In the end, I don't see myself needing a ton of customization outside of colors, minor layout things and standard add-ons like Announcements and such.

I've heard good things about IPB, but have no first-hand experience with them. I wish vBulletin was cheaper...
We LOVE IPB, but it comes with a hefty price tag and you need to renew your license if you ever want support from them :( We moved from vBulletin a few years ago, and haven't looked back.

Have you taken a look at SMF(Simple Machines Forum)? http://www.simplemachines.org/ I haven't used them in years, but they used to be the best when it came to community-made themes and addons.
Not a NFO employee
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

soja wrote:We LOVE IPB, but it comes with a hefty price tag and you need to renew your license if you ever want support from them :( We moved from vBulletin a few years ago, and haven't looked back.

Have you taken a look at SMF(Simple Machines Forum)? http://www.simplemachines.org/ I haven't used them in years, but they used to be the best when it came to community-made themes and addons.
Honestly had never heard of it until I did some Googling late last night on forum software. Seems pretty smooth so far. Going to do some more research on add-ons and such.

As lame as it is, I do like that phpBB is an Autoinstaller, along with the phpMyAdmin. :D