Need help for Left 4 Dead 2 standalone server slot

suvam_2
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Need help for Left 4 Dead 2 standalone server slot

Post by suvam_2 »

I am not a customer of your servers but I just have a plan to buy one because
the ping rates are better and servers are stable.
I don't know if you are allowed to answer non customer questions.
Its just a request to you guys.
I am bad at English.

Hello, Nice to meet with you
I have a question about your Left 4 Dead 2 server
I saw in the order page and selected 8+ slot option
Then there I see maximum 18 players at no extra cost
But 18 players is the maximum number of slots ?
There are some plugins and they can add up to 32 for example L4DToolZ metamod plugin
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=93600

If this plugin supports then 32 slots will reduce the server performance or make it unstable ?
Or there is another option at an extra cost ?
Thank you so much for your help.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Need help for Left 4 Dead 2 standalone server slot

Post by soja »

32 slot L4D2 servers will not tax the CPU, but valve has forced restrictions on sv_maxrate and net_splitpacket_maxrate that make it so running large slot count servers will be a laggy experience.

We have not found a way to remove these restrictions, and valve has ignored our requests to fix the problem.
Not a NFO employee
suvam_2
New to forums
New to forums

Post by suvam_2 »

Thank you so much for helping Sir.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Currently, we do not actively restrict the slots and allow customers to expand their limit for L4D/2 servers. Though, in doing so you make us unable to diagnose or troubleshoot any aspect of your server while your slot count is higher. You also open up your server to performance and stability issues.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

soja wrote:32 slot L4D2 servers will not tax the CPU, but valve has forced restrictions on sv_maxrate and net_splitpacket_maxrate that make it so running large slot count servers will be a laggy experience.

We have not found a way to remove these restrictions, and valve has ignored our requests to fix the problem.
There is a way to remove restriction. Try tickrate enabler from Prodigy Sim.

Of course it wouldn't be allowed on managed servers.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

$atanic $pirit wrote:
soja wrote:32 slot L4D2 servers will not tax the CPU, but valve has forced restrictions on sv_maxrate and net_splitpacket_maxrate that make it so running large slot count servers will be a laggy experience.

When we were investigating it a year or two ago we tried all public solutions and didn't find a fix. Not saying it won't work as I can't remember specifically what we tried, but unless it is new, it probably doesn't work. A lot of solutions allowed the command to be changed(sv_maxrate 100000 for example) but the engine still recognized the default max (sv_maxrate 30000).
Not a NFO employee
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

soja wrote:
$atanic $pirit wrote:

When we were investigating it a year or two ago we tried all public solutions and didn't find a fix. Not saying it won't work as I can't remember specifically what we tried, but unless it is new, it probably doesn't work. A lot of solutions allowed the command to be changed(sv_maxrate 100000 for example) but the engine still recognized the default max (sv_maxrate 30000).
I been running it on my server for almost a year. A lot of players can see the change, on top the ping is half compared to what we get on the same data center. As for engine only recognizing 30,000 as maxrate. From what I seen even in status it shows that players are connected at 100,000 rate which is the max I use. I would like to know how you checked the rate that engine recognizes?

Tickrate enabler has been around for years. The latest release is 1.4 was it was last updated in 2013.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

$atanic $pirit wrote: I been running it on my server for almost a year. A lot of players can see the change, on top the ping is half compared to what we get on the same data center. As for engine only recognizing 30,000 as maxrate. From what I seen even in status it shows that players are connected at 100,000 rate which is the max I use. I would like to know how you checked the rate that engine recognizes?

Tickrate enabler has been around for years. The latest release is 1.4 was it was last updated in 2013.
I determined sv_maxrate was not going above 30k by monitoring choke during high action times in a populated server.
Not a NFO employee
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Sorry for double post, but I tried connecting to the server in your sig, but I can't, I can't even get the server to query in my L4D2 client or HLSW. I'm curious to see if it allows over 30k rate.
Not a NFO employee
suvam_2
New to forums
New to forums

Post by suvam_2 »

Thank you for your great support guys but I don't understand what is the maximum number of slots that all players can play smoothly and there will not be any server side fps loss or any other problem.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

suvam_2 wrote:Thank you for your great support guys but I don't understand what is the maximum number of slots that all players can play smoothly and there will not be any server side fps loss or any other problem.
I have ran up to a max of 14 players. Had no performance issues. Remember this is with 100 tickrate, not default 30.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

soja wrote:Sorry for double post, but I tried connecting to the server in your sig, but I can't, I can't even get the server to query in my L4D2 client or HLSW. I'm curious to see if it allows over 30k rate.
What error did you face when you tried to connect?
suvam_2
New to forums
New to forums

Post by suvam_2 »

But here https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -HMJI-5162 I saw srcds's default value of fps_max is 300.
But they are saying that it is upto 1000.
If it is then can I set it here on a normal Left 4 Dead 2 game server and will it improve something ?
Or we need to setup a VPS for higher cpu requirement ?
I mean like if I buy a 4 core VPS then all the players will be able to play smoothly ?
I am sorry I am asking the same question maybe the limitations are forced by Valve so a VPS will not improve something right ?
Can the laggy experience be fixed ?
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

fps_max can be set higher than 300 in l4d2. The max value that I tried was 1000, but due to kernel restrictions it gave me ~800 fps. Personally for L4d2, 150 = 300 frames would be more than sufficient to have a good gaming experience. If you still feel the need, then put fps_max to 0, and server will use the maximum possible value for it.

You don't necessarily need 4 core VDS just to run one L4D2 server. 2 core should be good enough.