RUST -- Server Salt setting/cfg

markym
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

RUST -- Server Salt setting/cfg

Post by markym »

Hi all, I've read about the new Rust server salt setting which we can set for our server to have more random spawn of materials/resources that aren't tied to the map seed. What I'm not sure about is if I add server.salt and a number to the server cfg how will it affect my seed? Will it be wiping any builds, etc. There's not much documentation I can find on the server.salt and how it works or what it will affect if you set it. Ultimately it looks like its a setting that should be set every time to you wipe. I'm leery of adding it to my config until I know if someone has tested it and how it will affect a server's current seed and builds. I searched the facepunch forums and didn't see much on it.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: RUST -- Server Salt setting/cfg

Post by kraze »

This shouldn't effect your current server in anyway. The idea behind setting it as you wipe is so people do not know the current seed. If they already know the current seed they can be offline figuring out where the best resources are.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
markym
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: RUST -- Server Salt setting/cfg

Post by markym »

I added it to the my server cfg and set a number with it -- restarted the server and all seems fine. I'm not sure if it's working or not but we shall see over time. I've asked the NFO team to add this to our Easy Set up area so we can set it when we change or update our seeds. There were also no errors in the file. It would be nice to know how many digits we can use with the server.salt cvar