[TF2] Engine error: You are out of memory!

wafoo
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

[TF2] Engine error: You are out of memory!

Post by wafoo »

Hello, NFOservers forums! Support recommended that I post about my problem in the site's forums.

After one of the recent Team Fortress 2 updates my server has been randomly crashing with the error Engine error: You are out of memory! This error appears in both the console from my control panel and in the regular game logs located in /tf/logs/. The crash seems like it relates to SourceMod since I don't recall it ever crashing when I completely disabled all the addons. After this I decided to update SourceMod today (I was 35 builds behind). I thought it worked since the server didn't crash for quite a while. But, unfortunately, it crashed once more.

It is very hard for me to find what is causing it since there are no SourceMod logs that show an error that happen around the time of the crash. If it is a plugin problem then I certainly don't know what is causing it.

Here is a list of all my plugins on the server in PasteBin

If anyone knows what is causing this or has any info then I would very much appreciate it. I will post more info if it is needed!

Thanks!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: [TF2] Engine error: You are out of memory!

Post by kraze »

What does your console.log file say? That can provide some better logging information to pinpoint problems.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
wafoo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wafoo »

kraze wrote:What does your console.log file say? That can provide some better logging information to pinpoint problems.
Silly question but where might this file be located?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

wafoo wrote:
kraze wrote:What does your console.log file say? That can provide some better logging information to pinpoint problems.
You can enable it on your "Server Control" tab(-condebug on the command line enables it).

After you enable it and restart the server, the file is in your tf folder.

Are you on a VDS?
Not a NFO employee
wafoo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wafoo »

soja wrote:
wafoo wrote:
You can enable it on your "Server Control" tab(-condebug on the command line enables it).

Are you on a VDS?
I have now enabled condebug and will check the file when the server crashes again.

And my server runs on a friend's VDS. I would ask him for help since he runs many servers but he is currently offline.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

wafoo wrote:
soja wrote:
wafoo wrote: Silly question but where might this file be located?

Are you on a VDS?
I have now enabled condebug and will check the file when the server crashes again.

And my server runs on a friend's VDS. I would ask him for help since he runs many servers but he is currently offline.
Are you sure the VDS isn't running out of memory? Do you have access to the "Server Health" tab? If so, how much ram is free?
Not a NFO employee
wafoo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wafoo »

soja wrote:
wafoo wrote:
soja wrote:

Are you on a VDS?

Are you sure the VDS isn't running out of memory? Do you have access to the "Server Health" tab? If so, how much ram is free?
The VDS currently has a little over 1GB of memory free and seems to stay there.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If you're using Windows it's possible Windows is performing some updates in the background that is consuming resources. I have noticed on my dedis that ram usage can go up 3-4GB for a little bit, then go back down. If this is the case, the issue is temporary and should only happen a few times.

Next time the server crashes with this error, ask the owner of the VPS to check the resource usage graphs to see if memory usage went up(and free memory was at or near 0).
Not a NFO employee
wafoo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wafoo »

soja wrote:If you're using Windows it's possible Windows is performing some updates in the background that is consuming resources. I have noticed on my dedis that ram usage can go up 3-4GB for a little bit, then go back down. If this is the case, the issue is temporary and should only happen a few times.

Next time the server crashes with this error, ask the owner of the VPS to check the resource usage graphs to see if memory usage went up(and free memory was at or near 0).
It is a Windows server but I'm not sure it would be because of updates since it has been happening for a few days now. On the other hand, I don't know much about VDS servers so I could be completely wrong.
wafoo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wafoo »

Here is the console.log file from about 10 minutes ago when it crashed leading up until the crash itself (very bottom line). I can't really see anything that would be causing the crashes.
wafoo
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wafoo »

I'm assuming this is a problem with the VDS and not my server itself. I will talk to the VDS owner about it.
rd1981
A regular
A regular

Post by rd1981 »

You can try changing the virtual memory but most likely you will need to add more ram to it. Goto control panel, system and security, system, advanced system settings, performance, settings, advanced, change, custom size 20000mb should make is 20Gb virtual memory, set ok , apply ,ok and it will most likely ask you to reboot after that.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

rd1981 wrote:You can try changing the virtual memory but most likely you will need to add more ram to it. Goto control panel, system and security, system, advanced system settings, performance, settings, advanced, change, custom size 20000mb should make is 20Gb virtual memory, set ok , apply ,ok and it will most likely ask you to reboot after that.
He is using managed. Even if he wasn't, virtual memory is very slow and will ruin game server performance.
Not a NFO employee