SMTP for Nfoservers not working

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
eddie441
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

SMTP for Nfoservers not working

Post by eddie441 »

To send emails through my website I always used "mail.nfoservers.com" to send smpt messages. That is now not working. I am not sure what the issue is, just looking for someone who might know if they changed anything with the SMTP server to block emails being sent through websites. Thanks for all the help.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: SMTP for Nfoservers not working

Post by Edge100x »

For the last year or two, we have been requiring websites to send emails out through the local mail daemon, due to escalating abuse by spammers. If you have software that tries to use a different server, you'll need to reconfigure it to use the local mail server.
Pedro-NF
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Pedro-NF »

Edge100x wrote:For the last year or two, we have been requiring websites to send emails out through the local mail daemon, due to escalating abuse by spammers. If you have software that tries to use a different server, you'll need to reconfigure it to use the local mail server.
I'm currently hosting my sites with another company and have had a VDS with NFO for over 4 years, so I was considering switching web hosting to NFO too. I didn't quite understand what you meant by "use the local mail server". Do you mean my ISP's mail server (which won't accept mail from username@domain other than the ISP's domain)? Aren't emails with domain names hosted on the web server account able to send email via NFO's SMTP server?
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Most software will have an option to use "sendmail" to send email, instead of SMTP. This is the option you should be using.
Pedro-NF
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Pedro-NF »

Vanderburg wrote:Most software will have an option to use "sendmail" to send email, instead of SMTP. This is the option you should be using.
I'm sorry, but restricting web hosting users from using an SMTP server to send their emails from domains hosted on their web hosting account is unprofessional, to say the least. I'm deleting my recommendation post on NFO's Facebook page.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

You aren't being restricted in any way. You are simply required to use a method that prevents NFO's SMTP server from being used for abuse. Change your software to use the local mail daemon(the one on your webhosting machine) and you will be good to go.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Pedro-NF, you can also use SMTP, if you'd prefer. You just have to use the local host to do it, when using our shared hosting platform.

This is a pretty standard setting at webhosts and it has been like this for awhile here.

You can still send email with an envelope sender involving one of your domains, or in fact any domain.
Pedro-NF
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Pedro-NF »

OK, Edge100x (John, I assume), there might be a misunderstanding here. My email client is good old Eudora 7.1 (and I intend to keep using it). What would I have to change in the send email settings below?

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We were talking about mail sent from the webhosting machines. If you're using a Windows client, you're sending mail from a different host, such as your own personal machine or a VDS. You can, and should, use our regular mail server in this situation (mail.nfoservers.com).
Pedro-NF
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Pedro-NF »

Yep, I guess I misunderstood the whole thing. I can see now that the OP wanted to send mail from his own site (like from a forums site). I'm really glad I'll be able to switch my web hosting service to NFO. My experience with my NFO VDS has always been the best possible.