Django Autoinstaller

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Velsk
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Django Autoinstaller

Post by Velsk »

The current autoinstaller for Django is 1.3. Django 1.4 was officially released as of March 23rd. Are there any plans to support it?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Django Autoinstaller

Post by Edge100x »

The autoinstaller will need to be updated again later, you are correct. In the meantime, it would be necessary for anyone who wishes to install 1.4 to do it by hand (installing the current version and upgrading might be the best way to go).
Velsk
A regular
A regular

Post by Velsk »

Hey John. I'm trying to use the autoinstaller right now.

I added a subdomain pointing to the folder with the fastcgi file and linked media folders. All the Django/Python files created I left untouched, so the fastcgi file is still pointing to sample_project that was created by the autoinstaller.

I should be getting the Django "It worked!" page that pops up for new projects. However, instead I'm getting a Http 500 internal server error page. There's nothing in my error_log file, and my access_log shows the thrown 500 error but doesn't give any information that could indicate the cause.

Here is the page in question.

Any ideas?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Do you have FastCGI enabled for that subdomain via the Domains page of the control panel?
Velsk
A regular
A regular

Post by Velsk »

Whoops. I didn't notice you could expand the subdomains for more options. That did the trick.

Thanks for the quick response, as always.
Velsk
A regular
A regular

Post by Velsk »

Hey John. How do you get a Django FastCGI instance to reload the application it's handling from the .py files? If I make changes to the code of an application those changes aren't recognized until I disable and re-enable FastCGI support for the subdomain. Is there a better way to go about doing this?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

From the SSH command prompt, you could try looking for any "fcgi-server" related processes running under your user and killing them with the HUP signal. Then, KILL, just to be safe. It should automatically spawn a new FastCGI process the next time it's run.
JackLL
New to forums
New to forums

Post by JackLL »

The installer is again very out of date (1.5.4 vs 1.9), any chance of getting this updated again?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Django releases new versions frequently and it's complicated remaking the installer, so it's tough to keep up to date. I'll take a look at this when I have the chance, though.

I'd recommend installing the current autoinstaller version and then updating it, since you'll have to keep it up-to-date post-install as well -- it's important to know how to do it.