Unmanaged VDS support question regarding hosting an ARK: Survival Evolved server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Basgolfer
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Unmanaged VDS support question regarding hosting an ARK: Survival Evolved server

Post by Basgolfer »

Hello,

I currently rent an unmanaged VDS server. I am trying to host an ARK: Survival Evolved server on the server that I am renting. I have downloaded Steam and All of the relevant files for ARK. I am able to successfully launch the server and have it appear in the Steam Server List (To get to this page you login to Steam click View and then click servers from the drop down menu). The problem that I am currently having is that only my unmanaged VDS server can see the ARK server that I have made. No other computer can see it as it will not show up in the ARK survival evolved server list. So I can make the server successfully, but no other client on the internet can see it. Any idea on what I can do to try and make it so that the server is visible to all so that client's can join the ark server I am hosting.

Thanks,

An NFO customer.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Unmanaged VDS support question regarding hosting an ARK: Survival Evolved server

Post by soja »

Are you using Windows?

Have you allowed the ShooterGameServer.exe file to accept incoming connections in Windows firewall(add it to the list of allowed programs)?
Not a NFO employee
Basgolfer
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Unmanaged VDS support question regarding hosting an ARK: Survival Evolved server

Post by Basgolfer »

Yes I am using windows (Windows Server 2012 R2) to be specific.

No I haven't configured the firewall yet. Very good suggestion I will try it now and report back.
Basgolfer
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Basgolfer »

Looks like doing what you said with the firewall was indeed the culprit. All is working well now. Really appreciate the help and good suggestions man.

Thanks.

Solution: Either Disable windows firewall or add a new inbound rule for shootergameserver.exe to allow incoming connections.